Sign in to follow this  

adjusting preload on front forks?

hey,

i read some where on here about putting washers in your front forks to stiffen the pre load? ..... also i recenly got my shocks rebuilt so if you don't think it is a good idea just tell me! and the people that rebuilt them put a heavier oil (no sure what weight)

i have some questions

has any one done it?

do the people that have done it sugest doing it?

when i take the top cap off will the springs pop out at me?

putting oil back in it?

should i use heavier oil?

how much oil should i put in it?

has any one done it? See my comments below...

do the people that have done it sugest doing it? Absolutely - As long as you do the rear preload as well

when i take the top cap off will the springs pop out at me? Not if the front tire is held off the ground

putting oil back in it? No need to drain the forks unless you change oil weight

should i use heavier oil? Depends on your riding style and body weight

how much oil should i put in it? Depends on your riding style and body weight

I setup both front and rear preload on my CRF230F. Generally speaking, race sag should be 25% at the forks and 33% at the shock. This means the front suspension should compress 2 3/8" and the rear suspension should compress 3". Check your race sag with a full tank of gas and full race gear.

I used a 3/4" pcv pipe coupling cut in half for my forks and three turns on the shock collar. I also added 1/2 ounce of oil to each fork leg, bringing the oil level up from 5 3/4" to 5 1/2". This has worked very well for me. My forks no longer bottom and the bike maintains the proper fork rake angle. Keep in mind these forks will never be very good unless you have them revalved or install Race-Tech Emulators or Ricor Intiminators.

FYI - My body weight is 150 pounds.

One thing that will help with installing the caps afterward is to put a mark on the cap, with a black marker or something, lined up with the gap on the top clamp, showing where the cap first starts to catch the threads inside the fork tube. It will make installing the caps much easier since you are fighting the spring tension while getting the cap started.