Sign in to follow this  

Starts ???

I'm absolutley rubbish at starts all i see after the first 30 yards is rear mudgaurds I end up in the bottom ten every time into the first corner end up fighting my way through the pack and always finish top five ,I know it would be top 3 if i could get off the line , I ride a 08 250 2t KTM which is a missile in a straight line . Any advice is appreciated .

Im pretty good at starts but fade away shortly after that. How I do is I position myself all the way forward, my boots resting in front of the pegs, roll my wrists forward and that keeps my upper body more forward. Bring the revs up, ease the clutch out to where it barely starts engaging and pop the clutch and immediately start fanning it to keep good traction and the front from coming up too much and just give it hell...its worked really well for me so far but I ony have 2 races under my belt. first race grabbed the holeshot by a good length and second race was 2nd to the first turn.

I usually get the hole shot or top 3 in my heats,practice,practice,practice!Relax when you are on the line,shoot the bull with other riders,make sure your gate is swept clean(if on cement)I sit about the straight up and down from my foot pegs,put your bike in 2nd gear when the 1 min board comes out,tune everything out and watch your gate after the 30 board goes sideways,steady on your throttle(about 1/2)and when your gate drops be smooth on your clutch and shift fast and get your butt back on the rear tire for traction.Alot of people ask me why i am good at starts and i tell them,cause i ride a yamaha:thumbsup:and because i practice my starts evertime i ride:bonk:

I'm absolutley rubbish at starts......

I can add this to what everyone else said (for dirt starts) ==>

when the gate drops you will roll from mid-throttle to full throttle but remember to NEVER, EVER back off the throttle again until you are ready to brake for your first turn. if it starts to wheelie just burn the clutch a little (or a lot) to get control again but always leave the throttle pinned. and, of course, you will be shifting with a wide open throttle too. and even if it wheelies then don't back off: burn the clutch once again.

if you can't keep it pinned like that you are just wasting your time and money until you get it down right. its that important.

Sic..

Edited by sic

Well if your talkin about cement starts I start about a quarter throttle and slip the clutch untill it barely grabbs and keep it there when the gate drops I ease out the clutch and ease on the throttle. It is very similar to street bikes to keep wheel from spinning. As the clutch goes out the throttle goes on to keep traction. If you start spinning your just wasting time. Out at my local track I was always wheelying off of the cement and pinned shifting through 5th gear with the front tire about a foot off of the ground holeshot every time. I also had body position just in front off center. If your on dirt it is completely different. With a brand new tire on my cr 125 I would get on the tank really far forward. I would pin it and drop the clutch fast to get started then pull back in and quickly feather it. This kept from looping and got me goin after I hooked up. But with a tire slightly more used, I would have to get much farther back after I got over the gate.

Hope this helped

Her's what has worked for me and did several killer hole shots with this method, although this was for a bike bigger than your KTM. I'd start out in second gear (you'll have to experiment to see if your bike will pull this) and when the gate drops, I have throttle wide open, dump the clutch and wheel spin wil take me out about 20 or 30 feet until you're doing about the correct speed to be in 2n. gear anyway. All shifts, I do throttle pinned and just fan the clutch at every shift. Some have said "gee, isn't that kinda hard on the clutch?" Maybe, but I AM racing, not going to the grocery store. I've never tried this on concrete, though. See if it works for you!

1. Stage about a foot away from the gate (don't want the gate to fall on the front tire)

2. Make sure your bike is cleaned out. Start it on the white flag lap for the race before you and warm it up, keep pumping the throttle.

3. Pull in and lock the front brake.

4. Roll the gas back untill the motor is crisp and clean (your on a two stroke). About 1/2.

5. When the starter look at you put the bike in gear, your going to need to find out what gear your bike takes off better in. Creap the clutch out untill the front end starts to dip down (remeber you pulled in the front brake).

6. Get all the way up on the tank, head over the bars, one foot down. I put my brake foot down so my other foot is on the peg and ready to shift.

7. Here is the biggeeee, Don't look at your gate. Look as far down the line as you can in front of the other guys front fender. You can not re-act fast enough if you are staring down at your gate, it will be on the ground well before you even think about popping the clutch. If you look down the line and pick up another guys gate, then second it even twitches, you pop the clutch and let it ride.

8. Now your out of the gate and you need to keep a straight line and not bump another rider.

9. Never let off the gas or you will get hit or loose a lot of speed and you will be in mid pack or last before you even get to the first corner.

10. Just before the first corner, listen to the sound, when the other riders are backing off the gas, you stay on just a little bit longer, and what ever you do!!!!! Don't hit the brakes. 👍 They will run over you.

11. Charge that first corner like a chubby kid after a big king snickers candy bar (could not think of another way to say it). This is one of the biggest mistake I see riders doing, is not charging and railing the first corner of the race. This is 50% of the race. Many riders get a good top 3 start and back off before the first corner only to end up mid pack.

Ok that got you out of the gate and pass the first corner, now just don't fall down🤣

Edited by Padgett
  • Like 1

^ pretty good write up. Only thing I do different is I watch the pin on the gate beside me. And never be afraid of lineing yourself up straight with the first turn. Be lined up straight with the corner, the fastest way between two points is a straight line.

Make your feet are placed down in front of the foot pegs. The pegs should be around the back of your calves depending on your height. That is how far up on the tank you should be on dirt starts.

pretty good write up 👍

except you do not want to have your front brake on. This will cause the back end to unload and give you terrible wheel spin.

Don't believe me? Power brake a bike, right before the wheel spins, the back end will come up.

Sounds like you are realy loading the motor hard by letting to much clutch out. Good point tho, I'v seen many 4 stroke riders realy load the rear wheel and, as you say, wheel spin. 2 strokers grab and drive out of the gate, not sit and spin 20 revolutions before they move like a 4 stroker 450. I would reccomend that a rider ease the clutch out just enough to that you feel power starting to the rear wheel. This is why I lock the front brake, you don't want to easy the clutch out enough to move the bike, you are staged just 1 foot or less behind the drop of the gate.

with a 4 stroke, i can't help you,

but with a 2 stroke...

when the sign goes up, click up to second gear, at sideways sign, let the clutch out to where the bike wants to grab, mid to 3/4 throttle, as the gate drops, slip the clutch out and WOT, shifting in WOT with no clucth, just back off for a fraction of a second while your applying pressure to shift up, the bike will flow into the higher gear... and just hold that throttle like your going to break a cable... don't let off until your going to use the brakes. don't worry about the ruts, if the rear tire is spinning, it won't effect you much, but if you let off the throttle, the bike will tuck from under you if you are off balance.

practice starts... i practice 10 or so starts every time i ride... until i feel absolutely confident that i did 5 great starts. I keep a timer on my bike and my dad times my starts and lap times.

I'm bad at starts, but I just found something that I was doing wrong. I would focus on the gate and have good reaction time, but I would continue looking down watching the front tire go into the ruts. My last two starts today as soon as the gate dropped I looked straight at the first corner and got there much faster.

first off if you can't pull a 2nd gear start you have to gear your bike so that you can. The start to me is more of a mental thing. You have to have the mindset your going to be top three every time. If you get the basic fundamentals of starts down and still struggle, you need to ask yourself "am I mentally getting myself ready to do battle".

Definitely agree on the mental thing. First two motos of the year I got top 3 or so starts, one was a nearly full gate. Then before the 2nd set of motos I started to think about what I was doing differently since I often get bad starts. Shouldn't have started thinking... bad starts next 2 motos.

I'm fairly good at salvaging bad starts, though. In the C class between turn 1 and turn 5 or so everyone usually follows each other in a 2-3 wide pack until it eventually thins out. They are generally in the center 1/3 of the track going only as fast as the guys in front of them. I use the other 2/3 of the track and ride fast and make up lots of positions.

Definitely agree on the mental thing. First two motos of the year I got top 3 or so starts, one was a nearly full gate. Then before the 2nd set of motos I started to think about what I was doing differently since I often get bad starts. Shouldn't have started thinking... bad starts next 2 motos.

I'm fairly good at salvaging bad starts, though. In the C class between turn 1 and turn 5 or so everyone usually follows each other in a 2-3 wide pack until it eventually thins out. They are generally in the center 1/3 of the track going only as fast as the guys in front of them. I use the other 2/3 of the track and ride fast and make up lots of positions.

👍

I always did 2nd gear starts on my 125 and 250F, but I have practiced lots of starts on my current 250 2 stroke, and I was faster to the corner starting in 3rd. I rev higher than I would've using 2nd gear, and slip the clutch until the bike is going fast enough to be in the powerband in 3rd. I practice starts at my house on my practice track, and the track I race at most of the summer goes flat for about 20 feet then its uphill to the first corner, and I found a corner of our property that is set up about like the start at the track and practice them there. If you can use the clutch just right, 3rd gear starts are faster for me on my RM250 with 13/50 gearing than second. Experiment and find what works best for you and the type of track you will be riding at.