Sign in to follow this  

Can I get back to stock gearing by changing just one sprocket?

Well after changing my sprockets from the stock 15/44 to a 14/47 I decided I liked the stock gearing a lot better. I am just wondering if I can get back to stock or close to stock by changing just one sprocket. If I did my math right changing my current 14 front to a 16 tooth should be close to stock. So that would give me a 16/47.

Is it a bad idea to go with a 16 on the front? Do they even make a 16?

I am just trying to avoid the work and expense of changing out both sprockets again.

thanks

the driven racing 16t css is supposedly the best fitting 16 for the drz but the steel case saver will need to be clearanced about an 1/8" or so for a decent fit.but yeah that would get you back to stock gearing.it'll be a little weird though as i don't know if the chain would be long enough or the chain rollers would drag or wear excessively from such a set up.perhaps others will chime in that have done it.

Might be easier to just swap the rear out to a 41??? (stock SM rear sprocket)

If I understand it one tooth up front equals out to about 3 teeth in the rear.

Well if you want to try something without spending money you could put the 44 back on to see if you can live with a 14/44 combination. I run that but I don't ever ride on the freeways or need to go more than 65+ for any long periods.

16/47 may be too much for the stock chain and with 14/41 the stock chain will be too long. I think 14/44 will work with the stock chain but it is lower than the factory gearing.