Booby Traps

Had a little problem with a well concealed very tricky booby trap yesterday. Riders beware. This one was designed to snag a boot or footpeg. It caught my right foot and pulled me off the bike. Good thing I was going slow maybe mid throttle 2nd gear but it was violent enough still. Jacked-up my hip, knee, and ankle. This is not the first booby trap designed to kill dirt bike riders I've encountered in this area. Three years ago a guy was killed when he got decapitated by a similar wire strung across the trail. I don't know what to do about it except warn other riders. This is a totally legal area to ride and one I ride frequently right from my garage. Sorry the pics are bad but were taken from my cell which has a protective cover over it. I'm going to go out with wire cutters and a shovel and take the bobby trap apart and take better pictures of it for evidence in case I find out who did it so I can get them charged with attempted murder or maybe even murder if they can be linked to the guy who got killed. I'll never understand people who do things like this. They are cowards like people who strap bombs to themselves and blow others up.

SNARE01.jpg

SNARE03.jpg

• Like 1

When you see stuff like that it is best to set up a hidden game camera in the area because those people are sure to come back to the area to check on their booby traps.

The only other thing to do is report it to the Police, the Feds (as domestic Terrorism) and make sure to document all damages to your bike and self in the event they are eventually caught you can sue for damages!

Joe

That is totally messed up. I've never seen anything like that and it's sickening to hear that there's people out there that do this. It's bad enough I have to watch my back while walking down the street. Now I have to watch it when I'm out on the trails...

Wow, I have never heard of this happening. I just dont understand why someone would do this. Hope they catch whoever did this. what is the motive?

I don't know if I have every heard of someone being caught from these incidents. People do this for the same reason the freaks set all the SUV's on fire at car dealerships. They think they are saving the world by forcefully and violently keeping people from harming it. People are crazy, didn't get enough attention when they were children, and need to be sterilized!

I think these are the kind of incidents where more militia type tactics are required. When traps are found, I think areas should then be surveyed by riders to watch for these jackals to come back. Now, I am not condoning violence, and we shouldn't stoop to their level. But until wire and nails become no longer over the counter like some cold medicines, I think we are going to have to police for ourselves (without breaking the law preferably) to get more information to help everyone, even the LEO's. We have the right to protect ourselves.

I have not decided yet what to do other than making sure I get back out there to take the snare apart so someone else does not get caught in it. I pulled it off the trail and into the bushes as a temporary safety measure yesterday. Both ends of the wire are secured to rebar pounded into the ground and it appears also connected to a rusty cable recently stretched across the trail and buried. I'll take pictures of it to prove it was set deliberately not just a random wire hanging out in the trail. I'll also make sure I pick up as much trash as my truck will hold while I'm at it. I'm a law abiding citizen and don't condone taking the law into my own hands but really don't see the point in involving the authorities. What will happen then is that the area will become restricted in the name of public safety and the scumbags who do things like this will be the last to be affected. I know most of the people who ride out there and they'll be warned. God help anyone I catch in the act of doing something like this. It'll give a whole new meaning to armed and dangerous.

but really don't see the point in involving the authorities.

I agree, IMO cops are as useless as tits on a bull when it comes to stuff like this.

what are they gonna do? come out, look at it, take it apart, do some paperwork and leave, with the area closed off like you said? pfft you can do all that yourself, no need to involve those fools that will just end up making things more complicated.

get proof as to who it was (good luck), then go to the police and let them "handle" it.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Do you care to let us know the general are this was located? If not, then by PM? This way others that ride in the general area can keep their eyes open for it. Thanks!

JZ

i would have gone out there that night and wait, because if that is a popular trail chances are that it was set there that day and they will come back that night to see f it worked. but i know if i found out who did it i would beat the living hell out of them.

I would prefer not to say publicly where the area is exactly. I'll tell anyone who wants to know by PM no problem. I had a "compliance check" by an LEO 8 days before this happened not more than 50 yards where the snare was set. Coincidence or did he piss someone off? It sure as heck was not an LEO or dirt bike rider who would do something like that!

I regularly ride up on boards buried in the leaves/dirt with nails and screws sticking upwards to pop tires. I politely pick up the boards, and walk deep into the brush and deposit them face down hidden under leaves/dirt. The perps have to use some sort of money to make their contraptions, and I just make sure they don't get them back.

You definitely need to get proper authorities involved. Who ever has the jurisdiction for where you were riding. Some environ"mental" groups are Id'd by the feds as terrorist groups. You really need to let the authorities know it's going on.

Use some camera's designed to take pictures of deer. We found fishing wire neck height at a local spot we ride at and we put a couple deer camera's in there and it ended the wire being put up. Never caught the guy but never saw another booby trap again either.

There will be half a dozen riders on the look out on any given day out there and we have a contact officer with the BLM who has "jurisdiction". People from DEA, USBP, fireman, all kinds like that train out there too and I'm sure they'll also learn of this soon if not already. If I were the one who did this I would GTFO of Arizona (like right now) and never come back.