went to the track for the first time

well i finally went to ride the track the first time. it was a little intimidating cause iv never had to worry about jumps that big out on the trails. so i just took it shlow and made my way through the turns and corners working on my technique. well i got a little mor confident throught the night so i decided to hit the last jump on the course before a was about to pull off. well i hit this jump and im assuming i wasnt going fast enough and i just went flying towards the front of my bike in the air and when it came down landed on the front tire and went ass over tea kettle over the handle bars. it seemed like every little jump id go over slow it would thro me towards the front of the bike. Do i need to learn back when going over the jumps? grannit i wasnt going very fast over any of them just trying to get over em. any info would be great

thanks

I'm probably not the best to answer this but are you blipping the throttle at the top of the jump? When you say, "throws you toward the front", do you mean on the face of the jump or once you get over the lip?

Assuming your on a 4T ensure you are holding the throttle off the lip of the jump. If you get nervous and close the throttle a little bit before you jump the 4T will engine brake and cause the front to dip. Same thing if you crack the throttle wide open right at the end it will cause the bike to go front end high or wheelie into the jump.

yes i have a crf450. and i was sitting down. went i went towards the jump i got on the gas hard went up it and kinda let off, im thinking this is prolly why? i felt like a was gunna wheelie outta it if i stayed on it hard. like i said this was my first time takin on any jumps so i was a little timid. im going to a motocross school in a few weeks and they re going to cover anything so im hoping that will improve my riding and give me a little more confidence

I started out pretty much the same way you did, and the first few times I tried to hit a jump, I came down on the front tire and went over the bars every time. The best thing I did for learning how to jump was learning how to stand up on the bike. Standing gives you much more control over the bike, and it allows you to stay neutral so that your bike can also stay neutral. Just stand up and keep your throttle steady through the face of the jump and you'll nail it. 👍

I had some of the same problems when I started... I would read posts about jumping, and see statements about being in the attack position, but my brain didn't translate that to butt off the seat. Now I only nose dive when I puss out, or go over a jump while recovering from whiskey throttle.

One thing that helps me (noob) is to be in a gear higher than you think you should be... Esp. on 450 you'll have plenty of torque even with the rpm's really low.

It helps since if you do chop the throttle a bit, the engine braking won't be so severe...

Like has been said, stay on the throttle until your bike is in the air. This prevents the bike from nose diving and landing on the front wheel. Also stand with your head over the front number plate when jumping (like shown in the picture). If the bike starts to go nose down, lean back and hit the throttle.