Sign in to follow this  

thinking about getting a cr125

I am somewhat new to dirt bikes. I have a xr200 and have some experience on it, mostly all on trails. It is starting to feel very slow. I want to keep this bike as an extra to let a friend tag along with or stuff like that. I am thinking of a 2000+ cr125. I am 6' 180lbs. I would really like to stick with a honda and am really leaning towrds a 2 stroke. want something different and easy to work on. I will be using it mostly for trails, and ocasionally on a track. anyone have any sugestions on this bike or another one?

For a cr125, the00' modle had some issues with air flow and all top end, not joking. So if your coming off a xr200 and get a 00'-02' yu most likely not going to like it, trial wise, no bottom end. Try to get an 03' They had some bootom and great mid, kinda lacked top end. The 04' had all top also. When i rode my 02' 125 from a yz250, thebike was really hard to get out first cause of the all top end. I hated it intill i got used to it and it kept me on my toes and better shifting. So you always goota stay on the pipe with the pickey CRs. I would recommend a Yz if your coming off a xr200. The yzs are easier to ride in trails an track if you ask me.... I like the crs for the all top end though, keeps me on my toes and make learn when to shift going fast on track....

im also 6 170 pounds n i have a 1997 cr125 and its the last year of the steel frame and the best n last cr 125 honda made - crs are great bikes and so are the yz i would say go for either im not bias lol but my cr effin rips

im in tolland ct. what about you. i looked into YZ's but they are just so tall. i wanted a bike that was a little shorter. iv read a lot that the 97s and earlier had great motors but can the handle like the newer aluminum ones? are they any heavier?

they are pretty much the same dry weight around like 192 pounds or suttin like that mine handles great to be honest

Yes they will handle like the new 125s if the suspension is right for you and your good as a rider

so what year cr125s had a "good" motor? the 98 and 99s had almost the same motor as the 97 but with am aluminum frame right?

Highly recommend an '01. It had a good midrange (for a 125) motor and they changed the handling for just that year for the better...

im also 6 170 pounds n i have a 1997 cr125 and its the last year of the steel frame and the best n last cr 125 honda made -

thats a typical internet comment

I am somewhat new to dirt bikes. I have a xr200 and have some experience on it, mostly all on trails. It is starting to feel very slow.

mate, try and get yourself the newest model you can afford in the best condition. any model will be a hell of alot more bike than your XR. Have fun and be safe.

dude, i made the EXACT same move from not riding for 20yrs, to an xr200 to an 03 cr125. i put in the new v-force 3 reeds and it helped the bottom end and mid range is good enough to haul around this 210lb 6-3 42yer old on the track and the trails.

my next step will be to either a 250 2st or 450 4st but for now i am lovin the cr125. awsome machine. get one!

thanks for all the help. i think what i realized is that no matter what year cr i get it will be a huge step up. also im not too worried about any certain years not having a ton of low end power because this will still be a nice step up and whatever i get i will get used to riding. i am pretty sure im going to try to get an 01 and up. i really like honda and want to stick with that. i thought about a crf250r but really think i will have more fun with a 2 stroke for now

I've got my 15 year old son (6'2" 210) on a '95 CR125. It's fun to ride and easy to work on. Sure, it's not a fancy aluminum frame, etc, but it's faster than my son is so far. I just had it resprung, so now I can ride it too. It's all about having a good time!

👍

I rode my brothers 00 a few times, it was really slow for a 125, I would look 02 and up as I don't think the 01 was all that much improved over the 00.

I love Hondas but the truth of the matter is every year Yamaha had better power, in tests anyway but suspension wise and handling I think the Honda usually got the nod.