Sign in to follow this  

California middle creek friday?

I would love to be able to try my trials tire out this weekend. I was looking online for the weather and it looks like the storm today and tomorrow should bring some rain. Also possible rain on friday (the day I would ride). How are the trails when it rains? I only have rode middle creek once 3 weeks ago and it was perfect conditions. Does it get really muddy and slick quick?

Thanks.

I rode there when it was about as muddy as I've ever seen it and I run a trials tire. I had no issues. I think the fear of trials tires in mud is seriously over rated.

I rode there when it was about as muddy as I've ever seen it and I run a trials tire. I had no issues. I think the fear of trials tires in mud is seriously over rated.

👍

I was just riding up at Cow on my trials tire through all the mud and loved it! They do not pack up at all and I'd say are great in the mud since they will find ANY traction available. Heck, We rode up in the snow and the STILL hooked up!🤣

Yeh I am not to worried about the trials tire vs knobbie. My old knobbie was in bad shape so it would have felt like I was riding on ice regardless. I guess my question is how muddy does it get up there after a few days of rain. As in will there be anyone up there this weekend or is it just a waste of gas to go out there?

It will be muddy. It's not the end of the world though. Some trails will have deep puddles, but it doesn't really make anything unrideable. I would just go for it.

The only thing you will want to watch out for is the depth of the creek if you are staging at MC. We rode there immediately after it rained and the creek was really deep. Probably shouldn't have ridden through it in hindsight, but once you're in it, it's too late.

Thats good to know. I didnt have any issues with it 2 weeks ago but it was my first time crossing creeks so I would prefer to not go down.

Luckily they are easy creeks to cross. It's just the depth that you will want to take a look at. Most of it you can avoid by taking some of those easy side trails down at the bottom of the hill too. Despite that, you have to cross at least twice. Just send your buddy or some idiot in jeans/t-shirt across first.

We got quite a bit of rain yesterday in the area. Last weekend everything that was south facing was dry. The back side of Penny Pines was wet big time. Lots of deep puddles and some fairly muddy areas as well. All the whooped out areas were full of water and tough to get through. Not impossible mind you but not easy either. We staged at lower Deer Valley and had no problems with traction on the way to the top. When we got into the shadows there was plenty of standing water..........Good luck and have fun.............................Oldskoo11

PS... I hate crossing the creek 5 times to get to the first trail so that's why I stage up the hill......

I would call ahead to make sure the trail system is open before leaving. With this last rain/snow storm I would imagine the trails will be closed. Just a guess but the way they run things its a good guess.............................Oldskoo11

Yeh I am pretty sure I wont be heading up. Snow levels were really low in the sierras so I figure I may get back on my skis instead.