Sign in to follow this  

09 CRF450R hours

Any reason to change the oil/trans more often then my normal every 3-4 hours on this FI Honda? This is my first Honda and Hondas seem to cary a stigma for breakin.. Im 1.3hours into my break in .. I did a search but didnt find much..

Thanx

craig

Just keep the same maintenance schedule as your other bikes...I have an 02' with TONS of hours and no catastrophic failures. I change oil and filter after every ride 2-3hrs and Tranny fluid every 2 rides. I use Honda HP oil for the engine and Honda red bottle in the Tranny.

NICE bike by the way.

Just keep the same maintenance schedule as your other bikes...I have an 02' with TONS of hours and no catastrophic failures. I change oil and filter after every ride 2-3hrs and Tranny fluid every 2 rides. I use Honda HP oil for the engine and Honda red bottle in the Tranny.

NICE bike by the way.

Keep hearing about fuel in the oil in these new FI bikes..

I want to get at least a couple of hours of break it in before dumpin the oils..should I dump it now at 1.3hours or wait till after next ride? Im worried about the fuel breakin down the oil "if" there is fuel in there.. 👍 Used to be so easy ... Hope im over thinking this..

3-4 hours is quite fine but I would not go past 5. the oil tends to shear pretty good. I sent out out for analysis and at 4 hours it was good but on it's last legs. Fuel in the oil does not affect the oil and frankly burns off or evaporates very quickly. the real problbem is oil shear.

Now fill your crankcase with a pint of fuel and REALLY dilute the oil then yeah, sure, but in general the slight leakage causes zero problems and is quite common in may varieties of EFI vehicle systems.

For your break in I would change the oil ASAP, I did mine at 0.5 hours and the filter had all kinds of shavings in it. I changed it again at 2 hours, and still had some junk but alot better. Did it a third time at 5 hours, looked great then have done 10 hr intervals ever since. Bike has 165+ hours and not a single problem!!

Oil is cheap compared to a new engine/tranny... Change it IMO. It's important to change it often during the break in. Like crawfish said, sometimes you will find metal shavings. It's best to get those out of there as quick as possible.

The first oil/filter change is the most important one and it should be done after the first day at the track/trail.

BTW, whomever told you Honda's have a reputation for breaking doesn't have a clue. I've raced Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki and KTM, and the Honda's have been the ones that lasted the longest and used the least amount of parts to keep running.

The first oil/filter change is the most important one and it should be done after the first day at the track/trail.

BTW, whomever told you Honda's have a reputation for breaking doesn't have a clue. I've raced Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki and KTM, and the Honda's have been the ones that lasted the longest and used the least amount of parts to keep running.

👍

I change oil and filter after every ride 2-3hrs and Tranny fluid every 2 rides. I use Honda HP oil for the engine and Honda red bottle in the Tranny.

WOW you must be made of money... that costs you what per oil change? like 30$ every 2-3 hours in oil+filters? 👍

Well I Change my Engine oil every other ride and my Tranny oil after every ride... It's nice when I get Amsoil for over 50% off....👍:banana: