Sign in to follow this  

gas life

i was just wondering how long u can leave gas mixed in a jery can before it its no longer good to use in the bike.

I alway add fuel stabilizer to my gas- on the back there are directions for intermittent use and long-term storage (up to a year I think). I have two toddlers so riding once a month is about all I can hope for. After one experience with bad gas- I won't put fuel in my bike without stabilizer. Honda and Yamaha(I think) sell house brands that work just fine- check at your bike shop

Shelf life in a metal container like a jerry can is pretty good. Cooler temps are better. I wouldn't use mixed gas older than a month in my bike... leave that for the weed-whacker and chainsaw.

Plastic gas can shelf life is considerably shorter. I try to run out my cans before they reach two weeks old. I ride a lot, and use the stuff up quick. When it sits for a week due to a broken bike or a broken rider, I mix it with fresh gas. Two weeks in a plastic can is usually my cut-off.

For a stock bike with stock jetting or a trail rider, etc I don't think that's even reasonable, I just don't like to take a chance on burning down my engine. The key is to plan ahead and only buy and mix the amount of fuel you need for each ride.

You cannot expect to have consistent reliable performance, or jetting / timing / compression from a two stroke with fuel that has been sitting in the sun in a plastic can for a month.

Keep your gas cans in a shaded and protected area...sunlight really helps deteriorate fuel.

the reason i asked is bc i live in a small town and theres no premium gas in my town so i have to drive 30 mins to the next town i want to get as much at one time so im not making a million trips this summer again. so ill get a month at a time since im not a pro by any means and dont even use the bike to the fullest yet. thanx guys

A month at a time is ok. Add fuel stabilizer to the gas and only mix what you need for that day in a separate container. The 2 stroke premix will break down in the gas after a few weeks. Regular gas will keep a bit longer. 4 to 6 weeks. Metal containers are better for storing gas, as are cooler temperatures.