Trigger Finger

I have this habit that I can't break. Maybe I shouldn't don't know. 99.99% of the time, whether fast open ground, rutted turns, jumps, 1st gear technical, whatever, my index finger is out resting on the brake lever. I'm not riding the brake but it's there ready to save my arse in an instant if needed. Kind of like security blanket I suppose. Actually works pretty well for instantly scrubbing speed and sticking your front wheel exactly where you want it in the flowing woods sections. Doesn't bother me from a control standpoint which is to say I don't gain much by adding the index finger to what #2, #3, thumb and pinkie are already able to do. But, I think it's just unorthodox. I look at all the MX guys in pics and they all have their fist wrapped around the throttle when on the gas. Is there any reason I should work on breaking this 'habit' that I can't think of? I'm just your average vet off-road B rider/racer so not sure what it suggests other than possibly cowardice. But maybe not in that it gives you that little extra confidence in being able to correct things if they go bad and allows you to push harder than you otherwise would. Any wisdom would be appreciated. Just don't want to be like a shortstop fielding a short hop ground ball with his glove while covering his boys up with his free hand.

its suppost to be the right thing to do....if you always feel your are not lagging control...

i try to do it most of the time but when in need to have more control i withdraw it away...

if you manage to have it there is a bonus...

IT is NOT a problem, read the mx riding tips in that section. better to learn to hover on clutch and brake as standard handlebar position. You should refer to those tips they have alot to offer. It may slow you down for a minute but you will have a STRONGER fundemental base. Foundation is the most important part of technique in everything. Why you think your 7th grade basketball coach made everyone do lay up practice for 1/2 hour a day ­čĹŹ

I constantly have my index finger on the front brake. Just resting there..... And index and middle on the clutch.. I don't see it as a detriment.............................Oldskoo11

I do this too, thought it was the norm?

I don't think it's the norm. When I watch the SX guys on TV slamming through whoops I don't think they have their index fingers out on the brake lever. They've got their hand wrapped around the throttle. Most all pics you see of these guys in magazines when they are in the air show them using a full hand on the trottle. I just figured that because they do it that way there must be a reason for it. Maybe they're just good and don't need to 'cheat' on braking. Anyway, not a big deal. Just always wondered. Still a mystery to me.

Riding some trail whoops this weekend I did some experimenting and found that taking my index finger off the brake lever allowed me to get through whoops better. I was able to overgrip more and this resulted in bettter throttle control.

In all other areas of my riding, having that finger there has been great.

YMMV

Riding closed course and riding off-road are two completely different things. This is a skill I need to work on as well. When off road you never know what's around that corner, or how the trail may have changed since the last time you rode it.

Oh shi*, that wash out wasn't there last weekend!

Covering the controls will give you better time to react in tough situations.

I like to ride covering the controls when they might be needed. Clutch on hill climbs and the brake in the woods. Covering the brake and using it when I panic a little caused me to crash. I was hitting the brake when I felt a little out of control, a down hill off camber in the woods, having the brake handy and my bad habit of using it caused a broken shoulder blade.

Not good, the only thing bad about riding with your finger on the brake is it might make it too easy to use it. I still ride that way but try not to use the brake as a security blanket.

In every picture I have ever seen of the GOAT, he has his index finger on the brake and middle finger on the clutch.

I do it so I can feather the clutch and so I have a frame of reference on the throttle. I am a big guy and that lots of momentum, esp when standing. I move around a lo ton the seat and no matter what my position, with my finger on the brake, I know where the throttle is.

PS I am an amateur over the hill trail rider at best.

ricky-carmichael-nam_460x0w.jpg