Sign in to follow this  

DR650 Problem

Hey everyone, so recently while riding my 02 DR650, It has started sputtering kind of randomly. Im not sure if this makes sense, but it seems to be mostly when im accelerating from lower RPM while leaning to the left. It will just sort of hesitate for a second and then be normal. It's strange because it doesn't do it all the time. I was riding today and I had it happen once or twice in the first 20 minutes of riding and both times I was leaning to the left and accelerating. While I was riding today, someone on a CBR1000 rolled past me at a light and turned right so I decided to chase him instead of going straight. He gunned it and I stayed on his tail with the throttle pinned for pretty much all of about 7 miles through some nice hard turns and had no sputtering whatsoever. Went through some long left and right hand turns going about 90 and had no problems. The guy on the CBR couldn't lose me either! So like i said... it seems that it just happens when giving it a lot of gas from low RPM... and usually when im leaning to the left, but that might just be a coincidence. It's probably something simple, ive just always been way better at breaking things than fixing them. While im at it, ive had one more problem that doesn't really bother me that much but basically it seems like every time I stop REALLY fast my bike stalls. It only happens when im going fast and stop as fast as I can... and I don't do that very often, but I would like to know why it does that. Thanks for any help!!!!!!!!

Heres my 2 cents maby low float level, fuel slushing 2 the side durning the masseve g force. when u say left turns are u draggen the pegs, and when u say hard stops are they like reverse wheeles. and one thing for damm sure my brother one thing good about breaking things is if u like 2 ride U will get real good at fixen things fast! 4 sure. good luck

Usually when It does it, It's when I quickly drop the left side down by countersteering and gun the throttle at low RPM. Im not draggin the pegs or anything, probably half way there. I've heard that a lot of people upgrade the carberator on this bike, does anyone have any recommendations?

stalling under hard braking is usually because your running too rich. Try leaving the choke on, if you have the same symptoms - spluttering down low, stalling under braking, hesitation at low rpm - then bobs your uncle. Lean out the pilot circuit 1/4-1/2 a turn

edit: could also be that the choke is stuck on a bit cause the cable has built up crap and is sticking. Might be worth unscrewing the choke from the carb and blasting the cable clean with WD40

stalling under hard braking is usually because your running too rich. Try leaving the choke on, if you have the same symptoms - spluttering down low, stalling under braking, hesitation at low rpm - then bobs your uncle. Lean out the pilot circuit 1/4-1/2 a turn

edit: could also be that the choke is stuck on a bit cause the cable has built up crap and is sticking. Might be worth unscrewing the choke from the carb and blasting the cable clean with WD40

wow this might be the first time i might agree with uncle bob but good point by the way are u set up for supermoto or U running the enduro set up?????? and 4 uncle bob i bet it is cool riden down under.

It's basically stock right now, but I have the 80% street tires on it. They wore out suuuuper fast. The guy that had it before me put aftermarket jets on it because it wasn't running right with the FMF pipe he installed. Since then my FMF pipe self destructed and I put the stock back on. I was riding today and I turned around to chase a guy on a honda 919 and while trying to catch up my bike started sputtering when I would get to around 95-100... that has never happened until today. I think I just want to get a better carberator. I never have problems when riding like a sane human being, but since I can't seem to do that, I must need to upgrade! First I will try tweaking it like you said qwerty. Thanks for the help! I ended up catching the guy though, I told him to follow me and I added the honda 919 to the list of bikes that can't keep up with me on a DR650!! woohoo!