Sign in to follow this  

Top 5 mods for 2006 XR650R

I'm in the hunt for a 2006 XR650R. My bias is daily off-road rider with only some time on pavement. I ride a little bit of everything, but I ride a lot so at the top of my list of mods is reliability, then suspension, and finally motor.

1) What are the top 5 mods for reliability/durability?

2) How about Top 5 mods for suspension?

3) Finally top 5 mods for engine performance?

I've already got tubliss tire set up, Scott's steering damper, XR's Only case saver, Honda power up kit, uncorked stock pipe, and a IMS gas tank on my list along with my favorite tires.

I don't want to dump a fortune into the bike, just want to tweak it to kick it up a notch,

Reliability/Durability:

1. Uncork the bike, this is also part of the engine performance, bike will run cooler and have more power.

2. Handguards, the stock ones don't do anything.

3. Riser Handlebar, helps when you're standing up.

4. Stronger bolts for the right footpeg

5. Wide footpegs

Suspension:

1. Send to precision concepts

Engine performance:

1. Uncork

2. Air filter(UNI), stock is fine too though.

3. 13 tooth sprocket if street riding is minimal.

4. Bigger gas tank

The best bang for your buck when it comes to the engine is an FMF Power Bomb header, FMF Power Core 4 sa muffler (or a Pro Circuit Ti-4), and a Uni filter or Twin Air filter and toss the stock backfire screen. Re-Jet your carb with a 175 main, 68 pilot, and stock needle in the 5th groove. This is good from 0 to around 2500ft. You'll pick up 3 or 4 Hp and be just as bullet proof.

If you want a little more snarl put a TM40 pumper carb on it. This will get your performance were it should be and without opening the motor.

The best bang for your buck when it comes to the engine is an FMF Power Bomb header, FMF Power Core 4 sa muffler (or a Pro Circuit Ti-4), and a Uni filter or Twin Air filter and toss the stock backfire screen. Re-Jet your carb with a 175 main, 68 pilot, and stock needle in the 5th groove. This is good from 0 to around 2500ft. You'll pick up 3 or 4 Hp and be just as bullet proof.

If you want a little more snarl put a TM40 pumper carb on it. This will get your performance were it should be and without opening the motor.

I thought that it would be a good idea to leave the backfire screen in place to avoid lighting the airbox on fire and also to prevent the intake swallowing the filter 👍

I thought that it would be a good idea to leave the backfire screen in place to avoid lighting the airbox on fire and also to prevent the intake swallowing the filter 👍

The UNI has a frame built into it to support the filter.

When's the last time you heard of an airbox catching on fire?

The UNI has a frame built into it to support the filter.

Oh interesting.

Well lets see it was back in the day when i was a young lad, walking down the shop and buying me self some chocolate, oh **** it i haven't heard about in ages 👍

I was under the assumption that there wasn't much horsepower to be gained with an aftermarket exhaust when compared to the stock exhaust with the HRC tip installed???

...Although there is plenty of weight savings with an aftermarket exhaust compared to the stock exhaust.

Still, the best bang for the buck is the un-corking for sure.

This are the mods of my 650, just came back riding it a minutes ago.

1) Uncorked (remove the smog system, change the manifold,stuff from the air box and jets).

2) Change gearing 15-48 (if riding more technical stuff, less high speed sections like baja, the bike will handle very aggressive like a 500 2T, top speed of 95 MPH) or 15-47 (less acceleration and more top speed above 100 MPH).

3) Suspension

4) Pro-circuit T-4 (Muchos huevos).

5) UNI air filter.

6) Pro-taper bars w/triple clamps and scott stabilizer.

Let her rip and have fun, can't wait to ride her saturday in Baja.

I have caught my UNI on fire twice and had to buy a new one. If you lay the bike down on the filter side gas will run into the air box. When you kick it over, you hear a loud poof. Now if I lay it down I usually pull the cover off before I start it. I have a burnt UNI to prove it.

Lots of good ideas here, keep 'em coming. I rode a XR650R today for the first time. Piece of cake to kick start compared to my XR400 I had 5 yrs ago. Gobs of torque and the chassis/suspension felt stiff and alive.

It seems the XRs only case saver has the best setup with the extra bolt for strength. Can I get away with a 15t XRs Only case saver for both a 14t and 15t sprocket or is it really necessary to have both?

Anyone have a vender source for the HRC competition baffle?

What are the recommended rad guards for this bike?

I was under the assumption that there wasn't much horsepower to be gained with an aftermarket exhaust when compared to the stock exhaust with the HRC tip installed???

...Although there is plenty of weight savings with an aftermarket exhaust compared to the stock exhaust.

Still, the best bang for the buck is the un-corking for sure.

I just bought a used XR650R and it has the big gun exhaust system on it. I personally don't like it, it is a bit louder than I would like and everything I am reading it doesn't do much for horsepower. Although I have never ridden one of these with the stock exhaust with the modified HRC tip.

I've had 4 exhaust systems on my XR650R. The Big Gun system improved the top end but lost bottom end. That was the only time I hit 97 MPH on a dry lake bed. The Pro Circuit system was too loud. The XRs Only system was really nice, but still loud. I ended up with the stock system and HRC tip. It performs just fine and isn't obnoxiously loud. On a stock engine, all these systems perform similar. My money was better spent on suspension work and a Scotts stabilizer.

I've had 4 exhaust systems on my XR650R. The Big Gun system improved the top end but lost bottom end. That was the only time I hit 97 MPH on a dry lake bed. The Pro Circuit system was too loud. The XRs Only system was really nice, but still loud. I ended up with the stock system and HRC tip. It performs just fine and isn't obnoxiously loud. On a stock engine, all these systems perform similar. My money was better spent on suspension work and a Scotts stabilizer.

Do you think its worth selling or trading the big gun for a stock system with HRC tip?

Do you think its worth selling or trading the big gun for a stock system with HRC tip?

That's a personal preference question only you can answer. I removed my Big Gun system after all the rivets came loose, repacked it, and sold it on ebay. Then I scored on a HRC tip for $15 on ebay. I put the stock system back on, enjoyed bottom end power I got back, and the 96db-'ish HRC tip isn't so loud that I piss off non-motorcyclists. I've been doing more organized dual sport rides lately and keeping sound levels down helps keep our riding areas open.

Keep the oem exhaust and get the e-bay 25.00 exhaust tip.

The HRC tip list for 184.00.

www.servicehonda.com lists the HRC tip 18317-MBN-640 for $143. And there's two on ebay right now for $16 and $50.

Even if you can get it for 143.00 it won't give you any more power than a drilled tip or the 25.00 e-bay tip,I've tried them all.

Engine:

1) JE high comp piston

2) REMUS twin pipes

3) mikuni HSR42 pumper carb

4) stage 2 cam

5) Notoil air filter and mod air box

Ive had stock exhaust with tip, WB, and FMF junk bomb with Ti4 can and now the remus twins. The remus by far pulls harder than all the others, wb next and the fmf full system was a total POS imo. I finaly made just a bit under 63 hp on eddies (burned) dyno