Sign in to follow this  

Cylinder Base Gasket help

howdy all. does anyone have an xl 650 (air cooled) base gasket they could scan and send me via PM. i need it in real size, part of mine has pushed out from between the case and barrel where i dinged it when putting the engine together. i thought a little gasketcinch would hold but i guess not. local dealer does not stock parts. plan to do this w/o fully removing the barrel cause i don't want to disturb the rings.

maybe pm me first so i know how it's coming and in what format...

thanx in advance

neil

esteyes@cox.net

I don't know how you'll be able to get it in there without pulling the cylinder off. It would have to be split to go around the rod which might just invite a leak in the future. Something to think about...

Monkey, it's a $9 gasket on the TT store. If you just put the engine back together, you should be able to take it apart and replace just that gasket - even the head gasket will be ok. Just make sure to carefully torque the head to exact specs.

keith and akarob. i do not want to have to rering the motor which is the consequence of pulling the barrel off the case while leaving the piston attached to the rod. i plan to lift the barrel and i accept that i will have to "break" the new gasket in one spot, but if i pick the widest section and cut it so that the two ends interlock (like a puzzle), then i hope to be successful as i have been in the past. trying to get the piston pin circlip not just out but back in while juggling the piston and barrel and protecting the gasket is difficult for me these days - too many years wrenching and now carpel tunnel is having fun.

hope this makes sense.

neil

Ok, pull the piston far enough out the bottom to get the wrist pin out. That's how I put mine together, I started all the rings in then put the piston on the rod, and slid it the rest of the way on. Easier than starting the rings with the piston already on the rod with no helper. 👍 Your rings wouldn't turn in the cylinder like that either. I'm guessing it will work for you, I did it on an '86 XR600R engine.

Ok, pull the piston far enough out the bottom to get the wrist pin out. That's how I put mine together, I started all the rings in then put the piston on the rod, and slid it the rest of the way on. Easier than starting the rings with the piston already on the rod with no helper. 👍 Your rings wouldn't turn in the cylinder like that either. I'm guessing it will work for you, I did it on an '86 XR600R engine.

Pretty good thinking that Keith and while I wouldn't do it that way myself I'll keep it in mind for next time (those wrist pins can be tetchy to get in at times) it certainly sounds a better option than cutting the base gasket. I always thought the idea was not to have breaks in gaskets specially one under as much pressure as a base gasket would be..I also don't know why taking the Piston out of the barrel would require a re-ring job. Is that the standard thinking in the States??.

Edited by Horri

Also I don't know why taking the Piston out of the barrel would require a re-ring job. Is that the standard thinking in the States??.

+1 here... not sure why seperating the piston from the barrel would require a rering. If the concern is keeping the rings from turning in the grooves, mark the rings and the slug with a sharpie when you pull the jug. Make sure it's all lined up when you put it together.