Sign in to follow this  

new on here and to DIY bike repair

i have bin given a 2005 tank trail 200cc on/off road. i have bin doing reserch and have found a few thing i want to verifi and ask a few questions.

1.the bike is a little hard starting but it dose and runs fairley well once it is warm i hooked it up to a charger and turned it over with the plug out and it seems to have strong compression. i get good ark testing it on the moter and the carb is as clean as a whistle. the plug was in good shape and was not gunked up at all. but i replaced it anyway drained the tank and put new gas in. i adjusted the c clip on the carb needle down one notch to get more gas and that helped a lot. the groove where it was, was worn a lot. it have 2500 km's on it. the oil is fresh. it seems to back fire some it is a little hard to start cold but not once its warm but i have a really hard time keeping it idling even when hot. i can adjust the idle control way hi and it will run but revs up a lot and when i turn it down to where it started when i got it it only idles a bit then seems to poop out. my friend was telling me about adjusting the valves? i think i understand some of what he was saying but need a run through and specks if you got em. as far as i can tell the gap spec. is .002? and what is the spark plug gap spec? i would like to get this thing dialed in. it is so close to nice.

My lifan 200cc GS was really hard to start cold, then I tried manually pulling the choke lever all the way to CHOKE and it starts first kick. If you have a cable activated choke, make sure it is actually engaging fully.

Also, https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327405.

LOVE THAT BIKE FOR THE ROAD. Too sloppy for me in the dirt but ROAD FRIENDLY. -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

very normal. That link I threw in there has all the info you need. -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

is the fuel screw the one on he right side with the spring or is it the one on the bottom front with ridges on it? from bottom right? sorry just learning these things and have no experience with small engines but quick to learn and mechanically inclined i think.

not a dumb question. Every carburetor is different. A chinese model can come with a real mikuni to a chinese knock off of a keilen knockoff of a mikuni. HEE HEE.

Most likely the one with the spring adjusts the idle. It physically moves the slide up and down to let more air/fuel mix in to raise or lower the engine speed.

The idle mixture screw lets either more air or fuel into the idle circuit. It usually is on the side but lower. Only a few are finger twistable. Take a picture and I can tell you what's what. -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

Yeah, the one on the side sticking out is the idle the one on the very bottom is the bowl drain screw and the one with "Knurling" that points up is a fuel screw for idle adjustment. So follow the pilot ciruit thread posted above and you should be fine. Turn the idle way up, then adjust the mix till it peaks, and then idle down to where you want it. -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

i have the same crackle when i decelerate mentioned on the other post. you say exhaust leak huh?

Yep, most likely. otherwise it can be valves... -BIG DAN:thumbsup: