ignition system problem

so i have a weird problem with my ign system, it dosent spark all the time, the most the bike will run for is the 2 mintutes then it shuts down, just like as if you were holding down the kill swich. this has to be a ignition problem, still trying to get the thing to run right from a incident in june when a guy i accident took out in a previous race thought he would get revenge and roost me in practice, shooting rocks and putting a hole in my ign cover, not knowing i had oil pissing everywhere i rode one more lap with pretty much no oil so mabey i fried the thing that srews on to the ign cover...no sure if thats call the the stator or magoto. already put in a new piston cylinder, and ign cover:banghead:kid better make his bike look different so i dont recognize him

when the bike does run it runs good, but it just shuts down randomly, any leads?...and btw the cdi is fine, tried it in a buds bike

I took the kill switch apart on my CRF to change out the bars. When doing so I lost the spring inside. I grab the spring out of my 04 kill switch thinking it would be the same. It looked the same!! Anyway, I experienced the same kind of thing you're talking about. On mine, in front of the gas tank next to the triple clamps, are a set of male/female connectors that lead to the kill switch. I disconnected one of these leads to test the switch. This is how I verified there was a problem in the switch. Once I disconnected the switch the problem went away. It's kind of a long shot, but I thought I would share it.

Other than that, I would say it sounds like the stator is going out. I've never had this happen myself but have read other threads with similar issues where the stator was the problem.

Hope that helps, bro!

Edited by motodogg01
  • Like 1

Most of the time, if the stator or magneto goes bad, the bike mainly won't run at all. I've had 2 strokes that encountered simular issues with it just stalling out and it turned out that it was something in the wiring harness that wasn't making a good connection. But I think the same thing, check the kill switch and the connectors that are on the right side of the bike under the radiator shroud to make sure you have a good connection. Electrical problems are sometimes the worst problems to track down.

I took the kill switch apart on my CRF to change out the bars. When doing so I lost the spring inside. I grab the spring out of my 04 kill switch thinking it would be the same. It looked the same!! Anyway, I experienced the same kind of thing you're talking about. On mine, in front of the gas tank next to the triple clamps, are a set of male/female connectors that lead to the kill switch. I disconnected one of these leads to test the switch. This is how I verified there was a problem in the switch. Once I disconnected the switch the problem went away. It's kind of a long shot, but I thought I would share it.

Other than that, I would say it sounds like the stator is going out. I've never had this happen myself but have read other threads with similar issues where the stator was the problem.

Hope that helps, bro!

thanks, i thought it could be this, i will certaily give that a try before i do anything elese

Most of the time, if the stator or magneto goes bad, the bike mainly won't run at all. I've had 2 strokes that encountered simular issues with it just stalling out and it turned out that it was something in the wiring harness that wasn't making a good connection. But I think the same thing, check the kill switch and the connectors that are on the right side of the bike under the radiator shroud to make sure you have a good connection. Electrical problems are sometimes the worst problems to track down.

again thanks, yeah you would think if the stator or magneto go out it wouldent run but not in this case, i hope its the kill swich, can you specify between the stator and magneto, i am confused betweed the 2

thanks, i thought it could be this, i will certaily give that a try before i do anything elese

again thanks, yeah you would think if the stator or magneto go out it wouldent run but not in this case, i hope its the kill swich, can you specify between the stator and magneto, i am confused betweed the 2

It's really the same thing, but some call it a "stator" and some call it a magneto.

Hi have you set your valve clearance's correctly,I just had a CRF 250R in which would start and run fine when cold as soon as it had warmed up some it would just sign of as if you had just hit the kill switch,it turned out it was tight intake valve clearance's with a little heat in the motor it would just quit running give it 10 minutes it would fire up and run again until warm and stop sounds a bit like the symptoms you are having.Martin.

now all i got to worry about is the exaust, the exaust fumes dose not smell like gas at all, it smells like jet fuel and oil?? like its a night and day difference from smelling my buddys fumes compaird to my bike and they are the exact same bike, i beleive mine is burning oil,,,i did a dry build with a 09 piston, i was really hopeing for absolutly no oil burning but that dident happen, mabey i shouldent sweat it

What year is this bike? When the roost took out the cover did you burn up the motor too, or did you just rebuild for maintenance reasons? How much time is on this new motor? I was wondering if oil passed through the rings when the motor went and shot some oil into the pipe. If you don't have any real time breaking in the motor then maybe the exhaust hasn't gotten hot enough to burn it out. Long shot , but.....

Did you space the oil rings on the piston correctly? Did you do any other mods while rebuilding the motor that might change the jetting?

What year is this bike? When the roost took out the cover did you burn up the motor too, or did you just rebuild for maintenance reasons? How much time is on this new motor? I was wondering if oil passed through the rings when the motor went and shot some oil into the pipe. If you don't have any real time breaking in the motor then maybe the exhaust hasn't gotten hot enough to burn it out. Long shot , but.....

Did you space the oil rings on the piston correctly? Did you do any other mods while rebuilding the motor that might change the jetting?

i had to replace the cylinder and piston, they were all scored up, but it still ran, it burnt major amounts of oil tho, they say the top end goes first and the top end is fine. its a 06 and it was a 08 piston i put in, not a 09, my bad. my bud was ridin behind me on my mini bike and he said when i guned it it shot a lil puf of blue smoke then stopped. i spaced rings and did everything buy the books. no real breakin time, yet, only about 45 min on the new piston, no other mods, still stock top end, could be valves seals, i am gonna ignore it till new top end time:excuseme: