250x question, help my neighbor

I have a 18 yr old friend down the street and I'm helping him with bike prep and maintenance. He recently washed his bike and got lots of water down the pipe. I pulled the spark plug today and got the water out, as the bike would not even kick over, cleaned the jets and got it running. We put fresh oil in both sides and after running it, the oil on the trans side (left side) was extremely white in color after running it for a few minutes, it seems he has water in the cases, am I right? He did drain all the oil before he brought to my house, so it's a fresh oil change.

I also found out that he hasn't adjusted the valves since he got new, and he put some serious ride time on it. Unfortunately his dad passed away a few months ago at the age of 49, so I want to help anyway I can.

Good of you to help your friend down the street. Alot of times if you drain the oils after the vehicle was just run, the oil will foam a bit and look white in color...let it sit and recheck after the oil has a chance to settle...How are you are seeing the oil on the transmission side? Usually the only way to see the transmission oil is by draining it. There is no dipstick on the transmission side. The engine oil dipstick is on the left side of the bike. The transmission drain plug is on the left side of the bike behind the shift lever. You fill the transmission on the right side in the tiny plug behind the kick start lever.

As far as checking valves...I would just go ahead and check them...It is a good thing he hasnt had to adjust them yet...Usually when you have to start adjusting them, they close up pretty quick and it is time to have a valve job done. I would just check the valves and note down where they are at. good luck.

Drain the oil with the 12 mm drain plug on the bottom of the case on the right hand side into a clean container and look at it. make sure it is not water mixing with the oil. Make sure the tranny is full also if you drained it from the left hand side of the bike. There is a 10 mm trans oil level hole on the right hand side of the case. it will have a Phillips head in the middle of the 10 mm head. Oil should be up to that hole when bike is level...or drain it and put the specified amount of trans oil in the trans side...It says how many ml to fill it up to right next to the little plug...Also, an easier way to fill it up rather than using the trans fill port behind the kick starter is to remove the access plug for the crank shaft (the big circular plug with the Allen wrench hole), with the bike layed over to its left hand side and just poor it in there.

I have seen bikes damaged by people draining the transmission then adding oil to the crank case side with out filling back full on the trans side...

The tranny oil will have a little grey color to it typically but not much. Water from the exhaust should not have been in the tranny. They are separate. I would flush the oil a few more times to make sure it's good and cleaned out. Like condor said verify that the radiator is full.

It also may depend on what oil you are using for trans oil..Honda says you can use the same oil they recommend for the engine side as tranny side. However I know there has been a lot of different opinions on what kind works best. I personally use synthetic ATF in the trans side. So my trans fluid is always some color close to red. I know people use Honda 2 stroke case oil also with good results. there should be no way for water to enter the trans side. It is possible for water to enter the engine side either from a leak in the cooling system or from injesting water through either the exhaust or intake.

Could just be plain old foaming due to adding to much oil. If you add too much oil you bring rotating parts into contact with oil in the sump that wouldn't ordinarilly happen if the oil was in the normal operating range. As a result the oil foams up and it looks a lot like a root beer milk shake. Guess how I know?👍

When you check the oil level, are you checking with the stick screwed all the way in or are you just dipping it in without screwing it in?

Proper way is to not screw it in.