Help, RT1 360 Has 16 volts to Head light ?

Ok we have a 1972 Yamaha RT1 360 with a 6 volt system which puts out 11.5 at idle to almost 16 volts when rev'ed. We replaced the 2 wire voltage regulator with 2 other used 6 volt regulators with the same results. You can guess what is does to the rare 6v head light bulbs......I can not think all 3 6 volt regulators are bad but, then if they were good how could we have such high voltage at the H.L. socket ? So, I hook up an old 30 watt 12v bulb and it was real bright for like 30 seconds then poof.... I noticed if you wiggle the ignition/head light switch the head light changes brightness.... certainly, this couldn't be the cause of the high voltage ? Maybe it is as simply as using a 12 volt regulator and head light bulb ? Is the 6 volt battery simply for the ignition system ? Any one know where I could find a wiring diagram ? Thanks for any help !

Edited by Vmax540

heres what works for me.

look on Ebay, for a Polaris snow mobile regulator single wire, they are real small, and work great, remember that they have to be self grounded to work.

just pigtail your main light wire into the single wire from the regulator.

last one i found was 9.00

heres what works for me.

look on Ebay, for a Polaris snow mobile regulator single wire, they are real small, and work great, remember that they have to be self grounded to work.

just pigtail your main light wire into the single wire from the regulator.

last one i found was 9.00

Good idea! I need to do this on my RT1 as well.