Sports Quad with Utility Tenancies

I am looking to buy my first quad. First and foremost I want to have fun on it, so I want a reliable machine. I am looking at a used Yamaha Raptor 350 or Suzuki LTZ400 2004 to 2008. I would include the honda 400ex, but they seem to be too expensive used. I need to keep the price under $2800.

I am 6'3" and 200 lbs.

Here is my breakdown of use.

Once a week I will use it around the house to pull a small trailer (Quadboss makes a hitch for all three quads above). The trailer would be close to 300 lbs.

Once a month I plan to take it to the track.

Once a month I plan to take it trail riding

What do you guys think? Am i doing the right thing going with a sports quad? Can these machines take the abuse of a small trailer?

I can't store two quads, so I need one that can do all my tasks. Am I a candidate for a utility quad?

It's really up to you. Taking a utility to a track is a brave thing to do. Towing with a sport quad is generally a no-no, even though 300 pounds isn't that heavy of a trailer. The transmissions aren't designed for hauling more than the ATV and a rider on a regular basis. The other issue with this is mounting some kind of hitch on a sport quad--I've never seen it done.

There are a few quads out there that will meet you somewhere in the middle as far as utility ability and sportiness. Look into a Yamaha Wolverine or Polaris Scrambler. I'm not entirely sure a hitch will mount on a Scrambler, though. Taking either of these to a track would turn into a chore.

In a vain attempt to see what a "sport quad hitch" might look like, I went to the QuadBoss web site. All I keep getting is error messages....so much for that idea.

First off, lose the Raptor 350 idea. It is a turkey!!! The LTZ is a bit of a rever, so I don't see it as something that will want to be lugged down pulling a load. The EX will lug down nicely...one of its huge advantages on slow technical trails, but still it isn't a utility quad.

Personally, I find most "utility" quads to be a fairly distasteful. Most are huge and heavy, and they throw a huge engine in there and put on mushy suspension, so folks will forget what pigs they really are! So, I avoid them as much as possible. When I must ride one, I stick to the lighter medium size ones.

If you are willing to give up the "track" idea and want a "hybrid" machine that tries to split the difference between a sport and ute, the Yamaha Wolverine has already been mentioned. My Honda Rancher 420 is every bit as sporty as a Wolverine, and in the 2wd version they get close to sport quad handling.

Tough combination of requirements!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

like its been said before the yamaha raptor 350 aka warrior 350 it no good for your size much to small. the polaris scrambler or the rancher 420 would be a good choice i had a scrambler 500 and had a hitch on it mostly to drag trees around the campsite with worked good. I now have a rancher 420 with IRS and the atuomatic tranny on it works good can handle a few jumps nothing big but is really nice on rough conditions soaks up the bumps well. i had a warrior/ raptor 350 and I am 200lb trust me a 500 foreman feels more sporty then it did.