Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 400, KLX 400R and KLX 450R differences?

Guys, I'm getting close to buying a bike unless something unforseen happens and mind you, with me, it might but let's assume it won't.

Because it's been awhile since I was online here and my memory sucks, I thought I could get a brief update on the different bikes as I've looked at all three.

1. 1. I like the green colors of the Kawy better and yes, I know I can change colors for not a lot of money. Given two identical bikes, I’d take the green one.
  2. 2. The DRZ has no kick. How much to add a kick and is it simple and is it doable?
  3. 3. Can I upgrade the battery to something bigger in the Kawas just like we can with the DRZ’s?
  4. 4. If I get a kawa that’s already tagged, I should have no problems in NC, right?
  5. 5. I don’t really need the power as I’m a shitty rider but maybe I’ll get better and it’s better to have more power than less I think. Also, I’m 350lbs right now.

One more thing. Initially, I'll be puttering along a lot so the question is, can I ride really slow on any of them without choking it or something?

Just thought of something. What about after market stuff like luggage racks, I take it I won't be able to find anything for the 450R?

Other stuff?

Also, what about an SM with regular and dirt wheels. Is that something I should consider IF I intend to ride in the dirt more than on the street?

How much should I expect to pay for shipping (roughly).

Does anyone know of other good sites to look for bikes other than here, advrider, craigslist and ebay? I looked at a site a year or so ago but can't find it.

Other pros and cons and keep it simple please.

Thanks

George

Edited by guiri

The two 400's are the same bike. The 450 is dirt only. If you never are going to ride street consider the 450, but for street S or SM. E bikes are also dirt only. I live in ca and to make it easy I would only get a factory street legal bike. You can ride either set of wheels in the dirt or street. I have 50/50 tires on dirt wheels they work good. At 350lbs you will not have any Advantage out there.

Shipping for a bike is not cheap. The fuel and driver cost are the same for a trailer of bikes or a trailer full of clothes. I always budget $600 for shipping when shopping online. I do not know of other sites than those you listed. Good luck shopping

Yeah, I don't plan on riding on the street much but I'd like to be able to which is why I'm looking for something street legal.

Hypothetically. If I have the same tires on both the 450 and the 400, how will they ride on the street?

Also, I don't understand this sentence "At 350lbs you will not have any Advantage out there."

THanks

George

Yeah, I don't plan on riding on the street much but I'd like to be able to which is why I'm looking for something street legal.

Hypothetically. If I have the same tires on both the 450 and the 400, how will they ride on the street?

Also, I don't understand this sentence "At 350lbs you will not have any Advantage out there."

THanks

George

Knobbies are not fun on the street, I had some that would sway the handle bars on the freeway and lean angles were nerve racking. I like a 50/50 for good street use and decent off roading. I have never ridden the 450 on the street, I think both bikes will be able to handle the same lean angles with the same tires. Any 450 is going to be faster, but none of the 450's are designed to ride on the freeway for a tank of gas or two.

I mean you will not have a power to weight advantage. The 400 is underpowered to start with and you will need to get the suspension adjusted. You will still be able to ride good and fast, you just wont be able to go as fast a 135lb person on your bike.

It's ok. I won't be competing with anyone and of course, there's the thing about just puttering along slowly. It was pointed out to me in the KLX 450 forum that for that, I'd be better off with the DRZ and really, it's fine with me, I just kinda had the hots for the Kawi, the extra 50 and the color, that's all.

As for the DRZ, what about the kick start? Could come in handy one day..

I might not be able to kick it but maybe some kind 8 year old girl scout could happen along and kick it for me...yes, that's as bad as my physical shape is right now I'm embarrassed to say.. 👍

Why not wait for one of a new RMZ-450X to hit dealers. Electric start, FI, and headlight....Review in one of the dirt bike mags this month. Dirt Rider maybe?

Why not wait for one of a new RMZ-450X to hit dealers. Electric start, FI, and headlight....Review in one of the dirt bike mags this month. Dirt Rider maybe?

They really liked it.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but..... 350? I'm 210 and not tall.....nuff said.

Dirtbiking is not easy physically and I'm at my outer limits in regards to being in "shape", which I'm not.

Just don't want this guy to get hurt.

How do you hustle a bike through woods at 350? Crap, I can barely do it at 210!

Again, I don't make weight jokes- just don't want anybody to break something!

They really liked it.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but..... 350? I'm 210 and not tall.....nuff said.

Dirtbiking is not easy physically and I'm at my outer limits in regards to being in "shape", which I'm not.

Just don't want this guy to get hurt.

How do you hustle a bike through woods at 350? Crap, I can barely do it at 210!

Again, I don't make weight jokes- just don't want anybody to break something!

I'm 6' and 240 pounds and my KLX400 moves me around with amazing ease. I also ride some pretty technical stuff here in Cali, and the bike and my mass handle it with relative ease. I will agree that dirt biking is not easy, and I have a good base of conditioning from lifting weights and riding bicycles, however it also sounds like Guiri is not looking to race, but rather just ride some dirt roads and trails.

Guiri - if you're just getting into dirt biking, skip the 450 and get a 400. It will have plenty of power to move you and will be a great platform for you to learn on. Find yourself a reasonably priced 400S, put some good dirt/street tires on it and have FUN!

urnuts, no problem with the fat jokes. I'll be the first one to admit I look like a sack of $hit which is why I mentioned it. I won't go crazy, maybe ride in the fields and stuff at first but I need to get out and DO something 'cause I can't find someone to exercise with and I don't want to friggin' die. It's not so much the dying part but I have five dogs or rather, four, I just had to have one put to sleep today and if I croak, who the hell's gonna take care of them? They're all rescue dogs and what kind of rescuer would I be if I didn't take care of them.

Bike riding is at least fun AND hard work. I thought I'd start out slow and putter around like the ol' fart I am and then maybe work my way up. I was never very daring when I was young either so I doubt I'll break too many bones but I DO appreciate the concern 👍

Mando, I think you might be right and again, this is why I posted this. Other views and opinions. I've got my eye on a 2007 400S so we'll see.

Kamel, if I get a brand new bike, I'm spending way more than I should and that still leaves me all the stuff around it like how to haul it around, helmet and other crap.

Thanks boys

George