Sign in to follow this  

Abandon Tracks in Ohio

Anybody ever tried to ride the old tracks from Columbus to Piqua? Have any pictures or advice? Any information about route blockage would be great, planning on making the trip in a few weeks.

Anybody ever tried to ride the old tracks from Columbus to Piqua? Have any pictures or advice? Any information about route blockage would be great, planning on making the trip in a few weeks.

hey dude, where are these tracks you speak of?

I live in delaware.....

Check over on ADVriders. Look in the central area threads, look for "adventure in Ohio" then get a hold of someone named "Buildit" he would be familiar with that.

Abandoned railroads are my specialty, but I am unfamiliar with this line so I did a little research.

This was originally the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad but mostly referred to as the "Panhandle Line." It was leased by the Pennsylvania RR during it's westward expansion to Chicago in the early 20th century and eventually abandoned west of Columbus by Conrail in the 1980s.

It's a non-motorized bike trail from Hilliard to Plain City and east of Piqua. There are active tracks on the right-of-way through Urbana, but the rest looks largely intact and accessible with all bridges still in place and very little encroachment by adjacent landowners. There are plans to turn this entire line into a bike trail so explore it while you still can.

What I would do is study the route using Google Earth noting places where you may encounter difficulty and plan detours if necessary.

Good luck and be sure to post some pictures.

Check over on ADVriders. Look in the central area threads, look for "adventure in Ohio" then get a hold of someone named "Buildit" he would be familiar with that.

I just PM'd Buildit over on advrider... hopefully he responds

I think I found it on google maps...

I think its the Heritage Rail Trail.... looks like the pavement stops in plain city....

I think the easiest way to find it on google maps is look for Hayden Run Road

then keep going west till you see it.

It looks like it starts on Wayne Street in Hilliard....

Show us the flat spots on your knobbies when you get done.

👍

🙂

Just kidding, but it would be a rather straight, no turn, no hills ride. That line looks like it's laid out on a table-top....flat as my prom date, hopefully not as boring.

🤣

but it would be a rather straight, no turn, no hills ride.

And how is that different from the rest of central/western Ohio? 👍

And how is that different from the rest of central/western Ohio? 👍

LOL, very true

And how is that different from the rest of central/western Ohio?🤣

No different, good point.

👍

I'm lucky enough to be on the other side of Cowtown, where all the good roads start.

If you follow this link, they do a pretty good job of outlining the route.

http://www.abandonedrails.com/article.asp?id=455. Just click on the view a map of this route button. it doesnt look like it will start until west of plain city, but after that it looks decent. I will probably try the trip in a few weeks and will post pictures. In the meantime if anybody else tries the route, let me know.

Yes, there is a rr bed that runs from Plain city to Woodstock. It is the old Conrail Railroad bed but it is now largly privatly owned by locals. Rob and I just rode it two weeks ago for a spring warm up for the KTMs. Most do not mind motorcycles using it but ALL ask that you stay ON the RR bed and not wander into fields or adjacent areas. Also be very carefull of where it crosses roads and for deer that hide in the bushes along it. Ridable length is about 15 miles of packed and lose gravel with some ruts and whoops along the way. It is not difficult.

DualKTMsatLincolnsmarker1.jpg

And how is that different from the rest of central/western Ohio and northern Indiana and southern Michigan? 👍

ggggggg

It still sounds fun though!.

Hey Buildit---what model KTM are you on in the picture?,and what is it's seat height please?---thanks Frog13.👍

Hey guys! Looks like this post has been dead for a while, but thought I would see if anyone had an update on the railroad bed east of Piqua. I am returning to the bike scene with a XR 600 an looking for places to ride. Thanks