If I get killed or maimed

I just want y'all to know you have my full permission to discuss all the details. Not b/c it's sick or macabre, but because if something happens to me and another rider learns from it or gleans insight then it's my wishes that that info be made available.

I've been doing an advocacy project for school and I chose mx neck braces. I've been absolutely amazed that from my research I've discovered that nearly every professional from neurosurgeons to researchers have felt stonewalled in investigating mx injuries/deaths. The tracks, the families, and the people involved seem to share a propensity to make injuries/fatalities a hush affair.

My heart goes out to the families and everyone involved but I think it's a disservice to those who have passed to let their tragedy amount to little more than a benefit fund that is soon forgotten. I mean, auto fatalities are a massive affair. Every piece of evidence is scrutinized, then double checked again. There should be clear, detailed reports of any serious injury or fatality that occurs in our sport. It is the only way our safety is going to improve.

How frustrating is it to the families of the recently deceased that had the details of some previous incident been made plainly and accurately available, that some key piece of info could have been gleaned from it. In Jan of 1991 I decided after hearing the details of a local high schooler's auto fatality that I needed to start wearing my seat belt. In July of that year a drunk driver went left of center at 85 MPH and hit me head on. I had to be cut from the car and suffered several serious injuries, but was undoubtedly alive because I made choice that was formulated by learning from what was happening around me.

So I hope I don't ever suffer any horrific mx crashes, but if I do, someone post the details so maybe another rider will gain some insight from the tragedy. ๐Ÿ‘

• Like 1

I agree also...last year was our first year racing. MMA runs about 16 sanctioned races every year and each one has at least 300 riders entered from little kids to pro. Of course there are injuries and I saw a number of them and while none were life threatening there was an assortment of broken bones, concussions and general bumps and bruises.

I had suggested via email that they should compile a list of injuries where the rider could not leave the track under his own power. List the injury (not the name of the rider) and the class he/she was riding in and possibly the gear that was being worn. I never heard back....

I think this would be useful in assessing actual risk through the various classes of mx racing which would allow people and parents in particular to to make informed decisions about racing...

Having said all of that I was at about half the races last year and saw perhaps 6 riders leave the track in ambulance over that time...8 races with 300 riders in each (some running multiple classes) and 6 ambulance rides which I believe were all due to broken bones...

OP is correct about this issue....

I just read in the May issue of American Motorcyclist that the AMA secured the 1st federal monies to fund a crash causation study in over 30 years.

pg 12: "You told us that we need to better understand the causes of motorcycle crashes, and work to prevent them. As a result, we advocated for and secured federal money for the first crash causation study to be done in more than three decades."

Sadly, I think this only involves street bikes :-( but it goes to show that there is a serious deficit in the amount of funding and effort being directed toward ensuring the safety of motorcycle riders.

Do you want to know why track owners and race sanctioners and such are not in a big hurry to compile data on crash and injury accidents?

Because the insurance companies will get ahold of that data, and use it to either increase rates, deny coverage altogether, and completely destroy what is left of the sport. What little is left, the trail lawyers will tear apart like a pack of hyena's on a 3 legged one eyed deaf alley cat with that data.

Trial Lawyer: "This data, which is public information, proves that this is really dangerous, yet you still had a obstacles on your track, and turns and hills?"

I know it's sad, but it's a catch-22. The data could do alot of good in the way of developing better safety gear, but in the wrong hands......

Do you want to know why track owners and race sanctioners and such are not in a big hurry to compile data on crash and injury accidents?

Because the insurance companies will get ahold of that data, and use it to either increase rates, deny coverage altogether, and completely destroy what is left of the sport. What little is left, the trail lawyers will tear apart like a pack of hyena's on a 3 legged one eyed deaf alley cat with that data.

Trial Lawyer: "This data, which is public information, proves that this is really dangerous, yet you still had a obstacles on your track, and turns and hills?"

I know it's sad, but it's a catch-22. The data could do alot of good in the way of developing better safety gear, but in the wrong hands......

Good point CH and one I never really considered however if the long term goal was improving safety perhaps this would not happen??

I don't know about you, but to most, motorcycling isn't a chosen activity if safety is high on their priority list. We all know we are doing something dangerous, but that danger is offset by our own capabilities. When we crash, 99.9% of the time, it was because we made a mistake...the injury is luck of the draw. I believe that's why folks don't like to talk about it...it dishonors the victim...a loved one to many. Not that I agree, but as my screen name implies, I'm not always PC.

I just read in the May issue of American Motorcyclist that the AMA secured the 1st federal monies to fund a crash causation study in over 30 years.

If I'm not mistaken, the last time the AMA and the Federal Government teamed up to make a safer bike, they came up with something like this.

http://www.clevislauzon.qc.ca/Professeurs/Mecanique/ethierp/2-wheels/images/concep13.jpg

A motorcycle with a roll cage? Now I don't know about you, but I'd rather drive a car.

CH and Mike38 are correct. All you have to do is look back to 3-Wheelers to see what happens when the government and insurance companies get involved.

Ascend75, your logic is fine, except you failed to carry it forward. Get the same government and the same insurance companies involved and the bikes will all have seat belts, air bags, roll cages, training wheels, etc., and what tracks are left will be flat with guard rails, lane markings and speed limits.

๐Ÿ‘

Yup, sad but true.

I guess I better get out and play some badminton...any liabilities there?

Good idea and you would probably need to have different studies for dirt and street riding ... they are just to different types of riding to be compared possibily...

But, I would not be surprised to see one element in common with both: Time in the seat. While it may not lead to a death in the dirt, I read once where most deaths occur in the first 6 months of a rider learning to ride on the street ...

This early time frame makes sense to me as I have saw many, many riders on the street (of all ages but usually older) and it was very obvious they have not developed their riding skills yet and are a very good candidate for an accident ...

And I don't see a way this 'seat time' experience unless you get it in the dirt where U are less likely to get run over by a car ... One must be very wise here when starting out ...

PS -- The GOV did outlaw 3-wheelers .... Why do they allow 150hp++ crotch rockets on public roads? Ever rode one? It is unbelievable the speed, HP, and acceleration ... and all you need to do to get licensed is pass a parking lot balancing test ... lol ... They are very very good machines but a little over kill for 55MPH speed limits ... I bet the death rate is very high on these machines ๐Ÿ‘