Sign in to follow this  

1998 Yamaha Yz250 Top End/Kickstart Question?

I just picked up a 1998 Yamaha Yz250 and the bike starts up 3rd kick when cold. The owner said he replaced the top end before he stored it a few years ago. The bike is tuff to kick in sneakers and I can hardly hand pump the kickstart all the way down, but when I kick the bike over in riding boots it seems pretty easy, could this be because I am used to driving and kicking my 2005 Rm250 in sneakers? What are the signs of a bad top end?

loss of power ( you will know if you ride all the time ) and 98% of the time, the PO are full of crap, enless they have recipts. I would kick start my 250 in my shoes and it would put a hole in them, so i would say its a little harder to start in shoes, in riding boots, its going to be easy apparently. Make sure your jetting is spot on and clean, reeds are still good. Take a compression test

Alright, would a automotive compression test work, because thats all I have down at my shop? Yea the bike is pretty rough on my feet when I kick it over in my sneakers more then twice LOL

I just picked up a 1998 Yamaha Yz250 and the bike starts up 3rd kick when cold. The owner said he replaced the top end before he stored it a few years ago. The bike is tuff to kick in sneakers and I can hardly hand pump the kickstart all the way down, but when I kick the bike over in riding boots it seems pretty easy, could this be because I am used to driving and kicking my 2005 Rm250 in sneakers? What are the signs of a bad top end?

signs of a bad top end can be - being able to easily kick start a bike in tennis shoes.

Sounds like the YZ has all its compression while the RMs do not, so they are easier to kick start in tennis shoes.

Oh ok, yeah like I said before I can kick it in my skateboarding sneakers which are thick but thats only when the bike is hot and even then I can hardly kick it all the way