Sign in to follow this  

Need some help with engine servic specs

Hi Guys,

I just picked up a 05 crf450 thats in pretty good shape. Im planning a trip out west to Glamis, Oceana Dunes, Octillo Wells, Oregon, and Utah. Now, I tore apart the engine down to the crank and the bottom rod end clearance is half way through the honda service manual service limits, but the small rod end measures inside(with proper tools) 0.749, and the honda manual says replace if exceeds 0.75. Now im debating on putting a stroker crank in it, but 300 will go nicely towards funding the trip, and if i had to i will tear it down on the trip and rebuild it in my rv trailer.

So what am i asking???.......how do these specs sound??......i dont kind having to tear the bike down the second i get back, soo can i leave it be, rehone the cylinder and throw new rings in????(has newer piston:low hours)

Idk, only reason for not just going all the way is i have a million of other things to do just to get the trip mobile, soo not having to spend the extra day or two doing this...then ordering parts, etc. would relieve some stress.

Looking for an educated opinnion, mine is it will survive the trip....but im curious on yours?

First off welcome to TT! 👍

Second, if your user name has anything to do with your profession then you know all about being well prepared vs. unprepared. (an Army Vet myself)

Third, that measurement is very close to out of spec. and if you consider the accuracy of that instrument you are using, it could very well be! For example your inside measurement indicated 0.749, if your measuring device accuracy is ±0.001 then there are two ways to look at this situation. If your tool was reading "low" then your actual reading could be 0.750 (0.749 + .0010) (reading + tool accuracy) or your tool could be indicating "high" so your actual reading could also be 0.748 (0.749 - .001) (reading - tool accuracy) there is always some uncertainty associated with measurements precision or not. With that said most inside micrometers are accurate to ± .001 or even ± .0001 of reading, it still doesn't help any to the fact that whether or not your tool is indicating "low" or "high" either way those measurements are still very close to OUT OF SPEC.

Another thing to consider is the availability of parts in what ever town you maybe in if you choose to ride AS-IS and your machine does break down.

If I had to decide I personally would replace it before leaving for the trip, I would have a better piece of mind knowing that I'd have fresh new parts installed, and there's no telling what else to break while on the trip!!!

Thanks for the reply, and yes my name refers to my current profession and i was feeling that i should just finish my rebuild., I mean for petes sake i have it down to were all i have to do is finish the tear down and have done numerous before.

Thanks again and im still open to other opinions especially curious of the new specs of the small rod end compared to mine.