Sign in to follow this  

I can't seem to compromise fork compression

I'm excited to say that I finally have my bikes suspension close to dialed. I was having huge issues with my forks bottoming last week, but 20ml of oil and a few compression clicks later, my forks feel much better. I still think that they bottom to easily, but with each click stiffer, they are starting to feel more and more harsh over braking bumps and such. Is there anyway to prevent bottoming on big jumps, but still have somewhat of a soft feeling in the braking bumps? Should I mess with rebound at all? (I'm afraid to because I dont want to change the shock rebound settings, as it feels super plush)

Also, I am testing on a sand track, but the jumps are a sand/clay mix

Let me know if I need to further explain myself.

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks in advance!

I was having huge issues with my forks bottoming last week, but 20ml of oil and a few compression clicks later, my forks feel much better. I still think that they bottom to easily, but with each click stiffer, they are starting to feel more and more harsh over braking bumps and such. Is there anyway to prevent bottoming on big jumps, but still have somewhat of a soft feeling in the braking bumps? Should I mess with rebound at all?
That sounds very similar to my experience with my forks until this year when I had Dave's SPI fluid installed and things became way better. With the fluid change (plus Dave's free piston drilling mod) my wrist jarring bottom outs are now gone - despite having less fluid in there (340 instead of previous 365). I previously tried stiffer springs so I was contemplating major revalving, but so glad I gave the SPI fluid a go.

With no change to front/rear ride heights or springs, and the SPI fluid and drilled free pistons, for some reason which I dont understand, I get best results with my fork comp clicker in 4 turns, and rebound out 3. IE. Compared to what worked with conventional fork oil.

It's now pretty good. Plush enough that I think I'll go back to my stiffer springs, and so much less blow through that I'll try even less outer chamber fluid.