Sign in to follow this  

California SBNF conditions

I havent been up in the mountains since the big snow so I decided Id go check it out today. Actually didnt get going till around 12:30 so this wont be too informative but Ill report on what little I did see.

I live in Cherry Valley and went up the 18 (330 still closed) into Arrowhead and took Hook Creek Rd. and up 3n34. Over the crossing and up to tough area through Dishpan Spring. Seemed a little harder than last season as the line is kinda deep and a little muddy(dragged the pegs more than a few times), but almost all of the snow is gone.

Stopped at Tent peg group camp for a bit and then decided to take 1w17(Malcolm Smith/Redonda Ridge trail) up to Big Pines Flat. Made it to the Holcomb creek water crossing but decided to turn back as it looked pretty deep and I was alone. Ended up taking the boring route(3n16) up to Big Pine Flat. Passed by 2N06X, still closed which is shame because its a fun little trail. Wanted to take 3N14 to Fawnskin but it also is still closed. Then my plan was to take 3n16 to 2n09 to the Big Bear north shore and down the Radford truck trail down to Converse but didnt get too far down 3n16 and I started to hit snow, not impossible to get through but by then I had gotten wet already and was starting to get cold so just backtracked and went home.

Good news is, most of the snow is gone, bad news, not all of it. I figure in a few weeks itll be all gone, cant wait.

I really want to check out SBNF... any time someone is going during the week PLEASE let me know... How easy is it to navigate thru the trails and are they well marked? also.. what is the altitude? I have a 2 stroke I might take...

I really want to check out SBNF... any time someone is going during the week PLEASE let me know... How easy is it to navigate thru the trails and are they well marked? also.. what is the altitude? I have a 2 stroke I might take...

Most of the trails are marked with names and difficulty, but theres some good maps out there too. The highest point is about 8000 feet. I usually ride on the weekends but if I get the day off I go during the week which i actually prefer. Green sticker bike are somewhat limited on where they can go but there are some good green sticker trails and places to stage. Im plated so I usually ride from the garage and back again.

Snowpack this year was near record levels. Expect opening times to be later than usual.👍

... Passed by 2N06X, still closed which is shame because its a fun little trail...

2N06X was also one of my favorites. It probably will never reopen. A bald eagle now nests along the trail route and when that happens FS is forced to close a large buffer zone all around it.

but theres some good maps out there too.

Could you recomend a good map. I have a CORVA one and it dosnt have half the trails up there and if there 2wd legit or 4x4 only, or motorcycle. I like going to big bear and driving around in my truck but some of the trails are a little hairy for a 2wd with a locker lol. Also the motorcycle routes arnt really mapped out on my map. Thanks if you have a link.

*** i didnt think there were any bald eagles in so cal...

Yah theres even a few around Irvine lake!

A couple of links to maps of the area:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/documents/ohvmap_bigpine_cactusflats.pdf

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/documents/ohvmap_silverwood_bigpines.pdf

The best map I have of the area is a large scale map for the Mountaintop and Front Country Ranger Districts. It has a number down in the LH corner of R5-RG-054 which might be the map number. I got it 5+ years ago at one of the fire stations in the area but haven't seen it since.

Could you recomend a good map

I have a topo map from Fine Edge maps that I really like, not everything is on it but its alot better than the USFS maps. I bought it at the Mill Creek ranger station at the foot of the mountain on hwy38.

Ill have to check out the ranger station on my way up next time. Latly ive just been using my iphone with the maps feature, has most of the ohv trails but is missing some that id like to know where they pop out. Thanks guys.

These are some of my favorite maps. You can usually pick them up from Sport Chalet. You used to be able to order them over the phone from FS.

Rode up there Saturday...most trails open and clear, lots of snow on parts of White Mtn but a couple bikes had been through before me and left a trail through the drifts. Major water running through Deep Creek, Mojave river too. Another 12" of snow last night above 7k? April showers:thumbsup:

Rode up there Saturday...most trails open and clear, lots of snow on parts of White Mtn but a couple bikes had been through before me and left a trail through the drifts. Major water running through Deep Creek, Mojave river too. Another 12" of snow last night above 7k? April showers:thumbsup:

Is deep creek passable? Maybe I'll wait a few weeks? Something about sucking water into my bike that just doesn't appeal to me. Water crossings in general are better to look at than to actually have to do.

Is deep creek passable? Maybe I'll wait a few weeks? Something about sucking water into my bike that just doesn't appeal to me.

It's going to be a while....alot of snow melt coming up...