Sign in to follow this  

Chain link question for paddle

I was wondering how many links people are running with a 6 paddle tire installed? I would like to keep my mud flap on and dont want to rip it off, I dont want my adjuster to be maxxed out either.And only respond if you know how to properly set your chain slack.

I am asking because my chain breaker broke and i would like to have the local shop adjust the length when i pick up the chain.

Let me know thanks

I was wondering how many links people are running with a 6 paddle tire installed?
Easiest way to find out is to install the wheel with the tire on it. Locate the rear axle at the point you want for best clearance. Install the chain you have, putting the two loose ends on the rear sprocket....AND with 1.5" of slack in the upper run, measured at the end of the chain slider. Now, count the number of empty sprocket teeth between the two chain ends on the rear sprocket. Add that number to the number of links in your chain. That's the number of links you need in the new chain. Oh, if the number is an ODD number (i.e. 121, 119, etc.) round it up to the next EVEN number ( 122, 120, etc.)

Then, buy a new chain breaker. 👍 (PS, you can "break" chain by grinding off the pin's rivet-heads and driving the link apart with a small punch...)

HTH.

Do you know how many links to run though?

I would do that except i am waiting on my paddle in the mail and it will be a last minute thing to through it on before i leave or i might even do it at the mountain.

Sand mountain Nevada 010 wooow

Big wheel or little wheel? I kinda have to agree with GM1m. I would get a cheap 130 link chain and with the money you save, get a $15 (or whatever they cost now) chain breaker. But it seems like you want two things that can't coexist . . . your paddle not to hit the mud flap and not have it all the way back in the slider. For one, you want to as far back as possible for stability in the sand or at least you will once you ride it for a while out there. Also, just keep the chain as an extra chain for nest time you go out there. Also, give us a report and take pics and post them up. 👍

It is a big wheel with stock sprockets, I dont want it all the way maxxed out because the new cheap chain is going to stretch a bit. As far as stability a half inch adjustment will never be felt. I am sure it is possible i made it work on my 450, i like the mud flap on there cause i do not like idea of my shock getting sand blasted without one.

I got the bike for my girlfriend and it is her first time in the sand on a bike.

I will have my go pro camera, will try to get some pics and vids.

My old 02 yz 85, that was a supermini 112 and it made it to the top of the mountain, i think it is 900ft tall, most 85 s dont make it up, so i will compare it to that bike.

PS i blew that motor up there. Hope that doesnt happen with this bike.

It is a big wheel with stock sprockets, I dont want it all the way maxxed out because the new cheap chain is going to stretch a bit. As far as stability a half inch adjustment will never be felt. I am sure it is possible i made it work on my 450, i like the mud flap on there cause i do not like idea of my shock getting sand blasted without one.

I got the bike for my girlfriend and it is her first time in the sand on a bike.

I will have my go pro camera, will try to get some pics and vids.

My old 02 yz 85, that was a supermini 112 and it made it to the top of the mountain, i think it is 900ft tall, most 85 s dont make it up, so i will compare it to that bike.

PS i blew that motor up there. Hope that doesnt happen with this bike.

That's why you get the chain breaker, so when you stretch the chain you can cut another link off. 👍 Naw just kidding, but it shouldn't stretch on a weekend, but maybe with a 900' hill. You will be surprised on how much can be felt with little adjustments that you think can't be felt. Just like raising or dropping the forks 5mm can be night and day or moving the bars forward 1/4". Just remember if you get a $50 chain, it might be toast after a weekend in the sand.

it will be a last minute thing to through it on before i leave or i might even do it at the mountain.

If there is anything my years of experience has taught me, it's to not leave things until the last minute. And NEVER leave the wrench work until you get to the riding site!!!!! That's a sure-fire recipe for disaster.

Make it a habit to be 100% ready to go two or three days before you leave.

👍 (because you WON'T be....!)

Just got home from sand mountain. short couple day trip.

My crf 150RB has plenty of clearance for paddle tires i wish my 450 had this kind of clearance. you can run the paddle tire at any position on the adjuster block, i used my stock chain and was only 2 notches back on the adjust block with probably a good inch of clearance.

I forgot my go pro, dumbass. but i have a few pics ill post maybe in a day. I looked it up the mountain is around 600 ft tall and the bike pulled 3rd over half the way up then second the rest of the way. I had about ten random people cheer at the top because i made it up.

I think my old 02 yz supermini got up there a bit faster, but hey i have never seen a stock 85 make it up.

PS the supermini cost me over a grand to get my nickle plated cylinder redone by RPM when it blew up there. The crf is still runnin like a champ.

Sorry no action pics but the bike is a runner and does good.

Here she is 08 150RB

IMG_3723-2.jpg

Comp hill is the middle strip, if you look closely there is a blur/speck at the top of the mountain. Its someone on a quad, the mountain is around 600 ft tall and the 150 ran straight up the drag hill.

IMG_3762.jpg

From the memorial in back of sand mountain

IMG_3739.jpg

This is at the top of comp hill. looking down at the camps. 150r made it up here.👍

IMG_3733.jpg

Ah, reminds me so much of Glamis.

(Been there so many times.

Hated the place.

Seriously.)