ridin whellies locks the motor up....say what!

A guy told me ( how many times have ya heard that) that ridin whellies on a XR650R would lock the motot up because ther a dry sump and the oil cant be properly deliver and it kills the motor.

I'm thinkin if ya cant ride whellies on it what good is it, who can own one of these monsters and absolutely abstain frome ridin wheelies, I meen these bikes beg you to ride wheelies, they love wheelies.

Just kind of curious if anybody else has heard anything pertaining to this, I guess it's possible but I dont think so, I seen to many wheelies done on to think it's legit.

In theory it's possible, many streetbikes have had this issue and have to have the pickup relocated.

I have serious doubts you could starve the XR though, a dry sump is excellent at maintaining oil supply much more than a wet sump. Unless you are doing mile long wheelies I doubt it would ever be a factor.

I am going to go ahead and say that a long wheelie will probably not kill your XR650R.

If that were the case mine would have been dead long ago. I have done many very long wheelies including a great hand full of bouncing the rev limiter in 4th at WOT trying to keep the front from falling.

As it must be very hard not to wheelie an XR650R I feel if this were true all of them would be seized by now.

While I guess it depends how extreme the wheelie is, generally it's no different from riding up hill and I'm sure Honda would have taken the need to ride up steep hills into account when designing the lube system for a dirt bike.

I dont care what I'm called, if you have a dirt bike it's mandatory you ride wheelies, unless your a mamas boy, puddin pop, skeerd, or a poser, matter of fact I think thers a fedaral law thats states you have to ride wheelies or its punishable by fine and or jail time.

Wouldn't worry Tech. We used to do them all the time when I was younger and we were still mummas boys..These days I'm just not that fussed anymore. Chicks aren't that interested in us fossils, wheelies or not..Whoops you're 28 so don't qualify as a fossil..Get practicing.

I'll do a fossil rave...Back in my day the 73-74 XL250 was wheelie king..Those things would go for miles on the rear end. We'd start in about 3rd using the clutch and rev's combined to get them up then just change up through the box as we traveled along through to fifth gear.The Yamaha XT/TT 500 was known for wheelie seizures and I'm pretty sure they were dry sump though I can't ever recall one locking up solid because of it,,possibly more of a rumour than anything...Fossil rave done.

Edited by Horri

I'd say your rite about the rumor mill, I've seen people ride some killer wheelies on about any bike out ther and never heard of one lockin up, but I guess anything can happen.

I'm at the age wher the young girls wouldnt dig me if I done a wheelie on a (fill in the blank), but ther still fun (females and wheelies), the stuff these kids do now are thing that only a cartoon could do when I was ther age, some of it's just insane.

Looks like I mite need to brush up on some wheelies tho, my youngest daughter wants me to teach her to ride them this summer, geezers rule.

• 2 weeks later...
A guy told me ( how many times have ya heard that) that ridin whellies on a XR650R would lock the motot up because ther a dry sump and the oil cant be properly deliver and it kills the motor.

If that were true, my son's 650R would have blown up long, long ago.

Most all seizures are from low oil level that just happens to show up during the stress of a wheelie, a speed run or a hillclimb. Keep the levels up and clean. Wouldn't a long gnarly hill climb be worse than a couple miles worth of wheelie? I've climbed hills that kept the elevation of the front end higher than a wheelie for a longer period of time with more throttle abuse as well.

the oil in the xr coming from the frame,

there is no way that the oil pump wont get oil so the head and the big end are safe no matter what, but the oil to the cylinder is getting there by the crankshaft and i dont think that there is oil while whellies, so i think that it's not so good for the piston-cylinder life but it wont kill them.

I know a guy who stuffed the motor on his mid '90's XR600 doing an extremely long mono "wheelie". The bike was almost new so he notified the shop he bought it from and Honda said it was impossible and didn't believe him, firstly that he could keep the front wheel up for that long(considering that it happened on a winding mountain road) and secondly that no XR600 had ever had this problem so close to being purchased from new. I'm talking a 20 odd minute mono. The guy is a freak, multiple 5 hr Iron man enduro outright winner. And the first person to win a substantial enduro event on a DRZ400. The dude can ride a bike.