Sign in to follow this  

06 yz250f v 08 ktm 144sx

I currently own the yz250f and I do really like it but I just feel kinda like blah when I ride it, I am looking at tradeing a guy for an 08 144 plus 550 on my end for it. I was just wondering will I be happy with my trade or will I regret it? I rode a friends yz125 and couldnt stop smiling while doing it, I know people say they are going to be harder to ride but I think the chanlenge would make it fun. I wouldnt mind hearing from anyone to has switched like this or if any one has input that would be great!

thanks

You'll love it 👍 go for for it!

Edited by SubTexel

you guys dont think I will want my 250f back? I realize I wont be able to be the lazy rider anymore and it will be harder to go fast but I am up for the challenge. I'm just scared that Im going to be like damn I made a mistake. I guess it is just becomeing more real as i get closer to saturday. But I guess all I can talk about is how much fun these kind of bikes are and I havent heard a single person say they didnt like riding them, so I should have no worries.

you guys dont think I will want my 250f back? I realize I wont be able to be the lazy rider anymore and it will be harder to go fast but I am up for the challenge. I'm just scared that Im going to be like damn I made a mistake. I guess it is just becomeing more real as i get closer to saturday. But I guess all I can talk about is how much fun these kind of bikes are and I havent heard a single person say they didnt like riding them, so I should have no worries.

No you won't miss it. More HP, lighter bike, cheap rebuilds... etc...

Once you ride it you'll never look back to the 250F ever again. I know I haven't looked back to 450s after going back to 2 strokes.

Only thing I'd be leary of is Ive heard of alot of problems on the 144's. Yours is a '08 though so that might be the year they got em all worked out. Keep the piston and ring fresh, its a 125 its not a bike you ride and forget about it. You need to keep the top end fresh esspecially on the 144's.

That being said its guaranteed to be an absolute blast on the track, quicker than your 250f if you can push it, and almost as rare as a ferarri on the track. How many ktm 2 strokes are on the tracks let alone a 144?

I have heard of detination problems, but I hae heard that it can be fixed with either high octane gas or an 09 cdi, Idk what goes into a cdi switch maybe someone could help me on that. Also how fresh are we talking? how many hrs do you think is safe?

Only thing I'd be leary of is Ive heard of alot of problems on the 144's. Yours is a '08 though so that might be the year they got em all worked out. Keep the piston and ring fresh, its a 125 its not a bike you ride and forget about it. You need to keep the top end fresh esspecially on the 144's.

That being said its guaranteed to be an absolute blast on the track, quicker than your 250f if you can push it, and almost as rare as a ferarri on the track. How many ktm 2 strokes are on the tracks let alone a 144?

Quite a few KTM 2 strokes on the tracks here... (Especially Glen Helen), also lots of CRs (02-07) and YZs...🤣 Must be sad to not see that many where you are at. 👍

I would love to trade my 426 for a sx144. Someday..... lol

I was a long term die hard smoker fan. They're great bikes. I say you should mod your 250F. I just got one all modded and it's very FUN to ride. I came off a YZ250 too.

It's a simple fact that 125s need more top end changes than 250Fs. The 125/144 is super lightweight and that would be a reason to ride it no doubt but if you're over 200 lbs. you have to work doubly hard to keep the motor singing in the sweet spot to make power on the trail IMO. Do you feel like your 250F is heavy? If so, the 125/144 option is prolly a good one for you however.

If your 250F is boring to ride then it's time to mod it into something fun to ride IMO and YMMV.

It feels heavy and boring lol, and I am only 175 lbs, and plan to get down to 165ish by summer.

and btw what is YMMV?

It feels heavy and boring lol, and I am only 175 lbs, and plan to get down to 165ish by summer.

and btw what is YMMV?

Ha ha. So if it is heavy and boring you should switch particularly given your weight. Your Mileage May Vary.

on any given day tat my local track there are at least 20 ktm 2 strokes.... anywhere from 85s to 250s... and i have even seen a couple 300s out there...

but not many 144s

haha gotcha, and are you saying I'm small enough for a 144?

im 185-190... and my stock bored 125 still rips with me on it you will be fine!

haha thanks, ive worked my ass off, and its actually not that hard getting a routine while being at college