Sign in to follow this  

TTR 125 Float level

Hello to everyone!!

First post here with a basket case of a TTR 125. I am working on this for my land lords son. He just picked it up barely running. I am not new to carbs so I figured I would get it running for him.

Drained out all the old gas, flushed the tank and lines, drained the float bowl etc etc. Still wouldn't run for crap. Took the carb off, cleaned all the crap out of everything, jets needle and seat etc. Ended up someone had been there before me. They had the float in upside down! The bowl doesn't even want to go on with the float in that way!! Any way the float was all distorted but I figured I would try it any way. Put it in right, guessed on the float level. Fired right up but gas poured fro the over flow. Reset the float down enough so it wouldn't over flow. It ran better but still wouldn't run right.

What puzzled me was the only way I could get it to idle was to keep the choke on or keep the throttle cracked. Even with the choke off and throttle cracked, you could tell it was running very lean, but the exhaust smelled rich!? Idle screw made no difference at all, and the air fuel screw made very little difference. Ran a tad better with the air screw about 3 turns out but not enough to say so.

So I figured I would start from scratch with this thing. I just ordered a kit, a new float and the 17.5 jet everyone here says to order.

My question is about the float level. I have been through seems like several hundred posts here about the same thing. They all point to one post. The one with the illustrations and the float setting illus which is supposed to be #6. That particular illus is no longer available to view.

So after a long winded post my question is does anyone have that illus or the proprer procedure for setting the float level?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Spec calls for 6.0 - 7.0 mm (.24 - .28 In) Below the float chamber mating surface.

This is out of the Service Manual, which has an illustration. You should be able to get a .pdf copy, there is a thread detailing where to download, I thought it was a sticky, but could be wrong.

Thank you very much for the info!! Downloaded the manual and will post an update when my parts are in and the job is done!!

Thanks again