Sign in to follow this  

Quick chain length question help a brutha out!

I'm asking here because it seems the Yammy 2T crowd is far more forthcoming with information than our Dual Sport bretheren.

I ordered a set of dirt wheels & rims for my WR250X.

I need to order a rear sprocket and chain for it to facilitate quick changes between the two sets of tires so I decided to go with a 13/47 setup.

How long of a chain I will need?

110?

Most of the 520 chains I've bought come in 120 links which should be a little too long. From there you just cut to fit.

Great question but we prolly don't know the WR250X dimensions too well. I owned a china bike for a month because it was only $150. It needed a new chain so I bought a 428 style chain. I guestimated two different lengths and they were both too short. Had to splice from the shortest to make the longer of the two long enough to fit.

I suggest the 120 link chain and then cut - OR - either remove and count your existing links or count them in place on the bike and then add a few for the new gearing but you can see that's more guestimation whereas the 120 link is fail-safe.

Rockymtnatv says you have a 520x108 chain with 13/42 gearing stock. So prolly 112 or 114 length but I would buy 120 to be sure.

Great question but we prolly don't know the WR250X dimensions too well. I owned a china bike for a month because it was only $150. It needed a new chain so I bought a 428 style chain. I guestimated two different lengths and they were both too short. Had to splice from the shortest to make the longer of the two long enough to fit.

I suggest the 120 link chain and then cut - OR - either remove and count your existing links or count them in place on the bike and then add a few for the new gearing but you can see that's more guestimation whereas the 120 link is fail-safe.

Rockymtnatv says you have a 520x108 chain with 13/42 gearing stock. So prolly 112 or 114 length but I would buy 120 to be sure.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I'll pick up a 120 and a chain cutter.

I need to order a rear sprocket and chain for it to facilitate quick changes between the two sets of tires so I decided to go with a 13/47 setup.

I'm a big fan of saving money- Rocky Mountain ATV has a great house brand that is way cheap and has held up great for me- $89 for a gold X-ring chain and a STEEL front AND back sprockets (steel lasts forever compared to aluminum). Had mine for over a year and only had to adjust it after the first ride- Boom!

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/vehicleSelectProd.do?prevVehicleType=2&prevMake=8&prevModel=737&keyword=&vehicleTypeId=2&make=8&model=737&applyFilter=Change+Vehicle&year=2009&navTitle=Drive&navType=type&webCatId=9&webTypeId=123&prodFamilyId=2218&stockId=&listingId=&uri=/productDetail.do#vehicleSelect

I just went through a similiar thing on my YZ250. I counted 115 (???), ordered a 116, and had to cut two links off. Running 14/48 on that bike is a 114 link chain, if that helps you get a point of reference.

Nothing like spending $100 on a chain and having to take the grinder to it right away....

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I'll pick up a 120 and a chain cutter.

I'm all for having the right tools for the job, but you don't need a chain cutter for this job. I use a bench grinder and just grind the pins flush with the plate, then use a screw driver to pry the plate off. It literally takes me less than a minute to grind the pins down and pop the plate off with a bench grinder. You can also use a dremel to do the same thing, but it will take you a bit longer 👍.

I have a 2008 wr250x and I am looking to change my sprockets to a 12T in front and a 45T in rear. Was wondering what size chain will I need to buy and will I need to buy a speedo healer. If I need to buy a speedo healer what brand is better and where to buy it.