Sign in to follow this  

1981 xr250r

Hey, I am just starting to get into riding and bought a cheap old xr. It runs real nice just the ride was too much for me to handle. So my first order of business was to rebuild the forks. I understand I am throwing money away but I wanted a cheap old bike to learn on. Not riding, but working on. Can anyone just throw me some good starter tips. Any kind of advice or direction as to what I should spend my first few dollars and hours on would be awesome. Thanks

If I were you, I'd would get a used service manual off Amazon or eBay and learn what makes the bike tick. The more you know, the easier it is to fix items before they become expensive. Then take the bike completely apart (except the motor/cases) to check and lube everything. A bike this old is likely to have a few worn areas, and you can start shopping for replacement parts. Old XR's last forever with maintenance, so get it ready to ride, then ride it forever.

right on man, thanks. I have the manual and been studying her up. I am doin what you said just starting with the front and trying to focus on spot than work my way to the back of the bike. Thanks alot