Off-road riding | Attitudes

So I'm posting this topic today as it kind of struck me right in the face, kind of blind sided me actually. I was recently reminded of how careful we need to be when we are out and about and that even discussing our ventures put us in jeopardy. As I contemplated this a little longer I realized that even staying quiet comes with a price, not that I'm stating to run around and expose everything.

The second part of this equation here is "strength in numbers". SUWA and all those other nut job tree hugger types have power because they have money, they have money because they have numbers/whordes of people who donate. Now we see here and on all the other dirtbike web forums all the time, PLEASE DONATE NOW OR LOOSE YOUR RIDING and it's true, but if we block/hide our legal riding areas to everyone in our sport other than a select few, then really are we not hurting ourselves? Can a select few fight the good fight, I don't think so.....

Granted there are a lot of idiots in this sport who go out and trash areas which is cannon fodder for SUWA/Sierra Club and the like. Again, I'm not promoting some idea of running around and sharing everything with everyone. What I am saying here is that we are walking a very fine line and it's becoming self evident to me, that we may become our own worst enemies if we are not careful, from more than one side of the coin.

Geeez, it would be nice if everyone could just get along and play nicely....... 👍

SUWARATS SUCK AND IT IS EASY FOR PEOPLE TO HIDE BEHIND THEIR SCREENS AND FLEX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Now strenghth comes in numbers and cash and i know all of us riders have both so as a freind of mine says,particapate,donate.

Last year our race series had a charity race which was desert on sat and motocross on sunday and we made USA-ALL A GOOD CHUNK OF CHANGE.

Remember these people want to take our freedom away and they are happy to do a little at a time!!!!

Part of the point I was trying to make was that I find to many people that want to have or have "secret" riding areas. Then when someone new finds out about them, they get all hell bent and pissy over it. That and they like to keep them secret... Granted I understand why they have that attitude to some degree, but that attitude can in fact hurt us in the numbers war. Sure you're not giving these enviro groups fodder, but you're also making yourselves weaker. I for one hate it when people trash trails and I also much prefer ST over 2 track, but most of all I like having areas to ride.

I'm not sure where to draw the line but acting like some elitist who thinks the areas are all for your single benefit makes you no better than SUWA IMO..... Please keep in mind that I am not pointing fingers right now, just a general statement...

Everybody thinks they have a sneek spot,whether it be hunting,fishing,etc.My personal thoughts on people who think they own the spots;NUTS,the more people i take too my riding areas the better because they know how i am on land use and to take care of our trails and that gets handed down to the people they bring there!Ride smart,have fun and share this great state we live in.

Everybody thinks they have a sneek spot,whether it be hunting,fishing,etc.My personal thoughts on people who think they own the spots;NUTS,the more people i take too my riding areas the better because they know how i am on land use and to take care of our trails and that gets handed down to the people they bring there!Ride smart,have fun and share this great state we live in.

Amen... Preach on!

The second part of this equation here is "strength in numbers". SUWA and all those other nut job tree hugger types have power because they have money, they have money because they have numbers/whordes of people who donate. Now we see here and on all the other dirtbike web forums all the time, PLEASE DONATE NOW OR LOOSE YOUR RIDING and it's true,

yep, what we do need is for off road riders (quads, dirt bikes alike) to stick together and be represented at public hearings that discuss how (public) legal riding areas are to be handled

but if we block/hide our legal riding areas to everyone in our sport other than a select few, then really are we not hurting ourselves? Can a select few fight the good fight, I don't think so.....

Granted there are a lot of idiots in this sport who go out and trash areas which is cannon fodder for SUWA/Sierra Club and the like.

I don't know what your riding area is like, but are you saying that people are hiding LEGAL riding areas?

why??

around MA it's different: there are only 8 legal riding forests, and everyone knows where they are.

there are other illegal, but "tolerated" super secret riding areas, but they are only tolerated because a few people use it sparingly, so it's not a problem.

If those areas are shared, and become more heavily used, that's bad. That's when problems (noise, destruction of trails) start happening, and law enforcement steps in to keep people from using it. This is NOT what we want.

Part of the point I was trying to make was that I find to many people that want to have or have "secret" riding areas. Then when someone new finds out about them, they get all hell bent and pissy over it. That and they like to keep them secret... Granted I understand why they have that attitude to some degree, but that attitude can in fact hurt us in the numbers war.

Again, not sure what it's like near you, but for MA, they are totally different. Gaining numbers to keep well-known legal riding areas open, would be awesome! But gaining numbers riding on secret illegal riding areas to definitely shut it down is bad.

But in the end, even if all we need is support in numbers to keep the riding areas open, I can guarantee that the majority of dirt bikers are not as united or as motivated to protect the area they use, as the tree-huggers are. Most of them just want the area open, and won't lift a pinky to get involved with the politics (or money) to keep them open.

So I'm posting this topic today as it kind of struck me right in the face, kind of blind sided me actually. I was recently reminded of how careful we need to be when we are out and about and that even discussing our ventures put us in jeopardy. As I contemplated this a little longer I realized that even staying quiet comes with a price, not that I'm stating to run around and expose everything.

The second part of this equation here is "strength in numbers". SUWA and all those other nut job tree hugger types have power because they have money, they have money because they have numbers/whordes of people who donate. Now we see here and on all the other dirtbike web forums all the time, PLEASE DONATE NOW OR LOOSE YOUR RIDING and it's true, but if we block/hide our legal riding areas to everyone in our sport other than a select few, then really are we not hurting ourselves? Can a select few fight the good fight, I don't think so.....

Granted there are a lot of idiots in this sport who go out and trash areas which is cannon fodder for SUWA/Sierra Club and the like. Again, I'm not promoting some idea of running around and sharing everything with everyone. What I am saying here is that we are walking a very fine line and it's becoming self evident to me, that we may become our own worst enemies if we are not careful, from more than one side of the coin.

Geeez, it would be nice if everyone could just get along and play nicely....... 👍

Right or wrong what you have mentioned is how it is. Bikers as a whole are lazy. They want the other guy to be responsible. It is an escape and they just want to ride. It always ends up that a few are carrying the load for the majority and a few of the majority screw it up for all the riders. What else is new. It's a bummer but I don't see the majority of riders getting their s**t together like the Sierra club and other org. I wish they would but as it is it is in a critical state but riders as a whole aren't willing to give up their time to organize, educate, design and carryout consistent money making and system building measures to promote caring of public riding area and protect the earth at the same time. It seems that usually parents of riders usually get involved. I know my Dad did. It's a great sport I hope more people are responsible riders and take care not to piss off others by leaving trash, damaging ecosystem for the hell of it and whatever irresponsible behavior . Simple things like ripping up and down your neighborhood making noise ruins it for riders. The bad rep is easy for others not in the sport to remember. Try putting your baby to sleep and a bike rider rips by a few times waking baby up. I'm a rider and that alone has pissed me off. Imagine someone with no stake in the sport. I hope that I am wrong and the majority of riders get it together. I'm just not holding my breathe. Until then I will continue to pick up trash after other riders that leave it behind and try to promote good will and good rapore with riders and non riders alike.

We need to rename our sport to something that instill's guilt if you oppose it, Forest Ambassadors, Guardian's for Earth.

There is Minnesota group of Anti access for anything kooks, called "Minnesotains for Responsible Recreation", not only do they promote complete closing of forests, there trying to ban any fishing in our state.

We need to rename our sport to something that instill's guilt if you oppose it, Forest Ambassadors, Guardian's for Earth.

There is Minnesota group of Anti access for anything kooks, called "Minnesotains for Responsible Recreation", not only do they promote complete closing of forests, there trying to ban any fishing in our state.

Good night that's just ridiculous!! Then again it could be genius, what if they are shooting high and then settling for something less?

IMO, things are going to either have to equalize or people are just going to start breaking the law more frequently. I really hope it's not the latter but that's the direction things are headed.