Sign in to follow this  

rmz 250 head trouble again

hi im in need of help i have been a 2 stroke man through and through untill i had a go on a rmz 250 and loved so i brought a 08 the guy had just replaced the head cams and valves (done by a mechanic)i have the old one and reciepts he said the sump plug came loose when he was riding as soon as he noticed he stopped hence the lack of oil to the top of engine cams ,the bike has been running great ,and starting fine for about 15 hours now i have been changing the oil and filters every other ride it was time for a valve check so i booked it in to my local suzuki dealer ,heads shot again worn cam lobs looks like starvation of oil to the top again does any one have any idears what can be causing this i dont want to spent a load of money on it for it to do it again thanks ,any help would be really appreciated.

i am mainly doing hare and hounds

From your description the first place I would look is at the oil pump. A worn and /or damaged oil pump would have insufficient oil pressure to lubricate the parts farthest away which would be the top end. If the pump checks good next would be to split the cases and check the oil passages for blockage.

thanks for that forsheems i am going to start to strip the engine down tonight i will let you know what i find .thanks again tim

From your description the first place I would look is at the oil pump. A worn and /or damaged oil pump would have insufficient oil pressure to lubricate the parts farthest away which would be the top end. If the pump checks good next would be to split the cases and check the oil passages for blockage.

I agree but any GOOD machanic would have replaced that pump....just in case

just looked at the oil pump and you guys were wright scored to hell on the pump rotors some very light scoring on the engine cases as well hope this will be ok. going to split the engine next just to have a look at the filter inside the engine ,am i wright in saying the debris that has scored the pump has come past the oil filter and could still possibly be in the engine ,thanks again for your help guys

The oil filter is on the downstream side of the oil pump but it would be wise to split the cases and check all oil passages at this point.

hi split the engine oil strainer is clean and no debris in the engine must have been the oil pump all the parts comming in a few days ready for next week end hopefully sorted the problem once and for all ,just a bit worried in case this happens again ,

thanks again for all your help