Simple CRF450x mods

I recently bought a 2006 450x. I have owned four strokes in the past but they were all motox bikes converted to woods bikes, this is my first woods specific bike. I was looking for some simple mods, I have heard talk of a "pink" wire, cutting the airbox, and rejetting. Any ideas? This bike is bone stock.

I recently bought a 2006 450x. I have owned four strokes in the past but they were all motox bikes converted to woods bikes, this is my first woods specific bike. I was looking for some simple mods, I have heard talk of a "pink" wire, cutting the airbox, and rejetting. Any ideas? This bike is bone stock.

leave the pinkwire and the airbox alone. rejet the bike. there's a giant jetting database and tons of information in the stickies.

I recommend spending the 75 bucks on a JD jet kit. In the instructions, it recommends cutting the airbox but not that dramatically. I’ve re-jetted quite a few 4-strokes (mostly XRs), but this is the first time I used the JD kit and this is the best running bike I have ever owned.

Congratulations on the new bike. I’ve only had my bike for a couple months and it is so much better for the woods than any woods-modified MX bike I ever owned/ridden.

Edited by BigRichard

I wouldn't really call the 450 X a woods specific bike. There are better bikes out there in stock form for riding single track woods.

JD jetting kit. Best thing I ever did. I cut the top off the airbox only, and did the 'baffle-ectomy'. All very simple, and not too expensive for a massive difference in performance.

I would armour plate the bike with Highway Dirt Bike handguards, a decent sump guard, and I like the Flatlands Racing radiator guards.

You will find a lot of posts talking up the merits of correctly set up suspension. I haven't got that far yet.

If you are going to ride in woods, I would look into changing your front end offset from the stock 24mm on the 2006, to 22mm. This can be done by buying OEM triple clamps for a 2008 or onwards bike or an after market set.

One thing I have played with loads recently is tire choice, and more importantly tire pressure. Changing the pressures to suit your terrain can make a huge difference to handling.

Most importantly IMHO is go and ride and have fun!

Enjoy!