Suspension Help for '03 DRZ400E

I did my carb mods and my bike runs great now. Now......I'm ready to get my suspension set-up properly. Can anyone give me a good starting point for suspension on my E Model?

I am @ 220# with gear on.

Most of my riding consists of bombing down FS Roads and single track.....very different I know.

What would be a good starting point for my set-up, front and rear. I have no experience with suspension, so be gentle please!🤣

Thanks in advance folks!!!!!!!!!!👍

Subscribed, because I'm in the same boat as you - '03 KLX400R.

I weigh 50 pounds more than you in riding gear and realize that new springs are in my future, but for the time-being I'd like to get as much as possible out of the stock suspension.

SuspensionTroubleshooting.jpg

Hope that helps. Take good notes! Annotate every change you make and what it made the bike do. Set your sag correctly.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=872278

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=827676

Let us know how this works out.

Nice flow chart. I think I need to start with the most basic of settings first - proper sag.

I did my carb mods and my bike runs great now. Now......I'm ready to get my suspension set-up properly. Can anyone give me a good starting point for suspension on my E Model?

I am @ 220# with gear on.

Most of my riding consists of bombing down FS Roads and single track.....very different I know.

What would be a good starting point for my set-up, front and rear. I have no experience with suspension, so be gentle please!🤣

Thanks in advance folks!!!!!!!!!!👍

I read all the other replies here, but the fact of the matter is that you will have to change your springs first and then start setting your SAG etc. You are looking at about : Recommended Fork Spring Rate: 0.486 kg/mm - rear is 5.7kg

Your bike is set up at a Stock Fork Spring Rate of .440 kg/mm (stock). These are facts, not off the top of my head. From there you decide what oil you want (your riding) and go front there.. Hope this help.