Sign in to follow this  

Goggle help

Should I run the Scotts or run Oakleys as far as Harescrambles. And whatever brand you say please give me what type of goggle from that company. I appreciate this becuase I am having trouble deciding between the two. I'm leaning more towards Scott but info would be great.

Chris

Both companies make good goggles, you should probably go try some on and see what feels comfortable and fits your face/helmet. I currently run Oakley crowbars b/c I was getting them for $30 a piece, so I couldn't pass the deal up and I hate changing lenses so I have one for each type of lense I use.

Which lens' are the best for harescrambling from each company?

Chris

Are you looking to run a roll-off system, or just tear offs? If just tear offs, can't beat the Oakley O frame and the laminated tear offs if you're on a budget. For a roll off system, I prefer the Scott Works System with the dimpled lens. I like the No Sweat XI version, but you can get it for the Voltage line and 89 Series. Smith now has an anti stick lens for their roll off system, but no experience with it so I can't comment.

Oakly has never supported offroad racers. I would go with Scott or Smith. Never under estimate the quality of Smiths.

Oakly has never supported offroad racers.

Yes they have. James Stewart (ever heard of him?), Loretta Lynn's 2009 Amateur MX Championship, and I'm sure there's plenty more.

I think he meant off road as in Enduro and GNCC type stuff not MX and SX

Yes they have. James Stewart (ever heard of him?), Loretta Lynn's 2009 Amateur MX Championship, and I'm sure there's plenty more.

That's not offroad homie

OK then, seeing as MX tracks are classed as on-road, how about Oakley's Greg Minnaar, the South African enduro racer?

Aaaaaannnyyway, Oakley Crowbar enduro goggles are comfy and stay clear, as do my Uvex goggles (they're well worth looking at - but I'm not sure if they sponsor any off-road motorcyclists so you may not be interested)

Go to a dealer and try some on, look for good fit . Snug but night tight around the face. Do you wear glasses? Fit is the key here and only you have your face to try them on.

I like Smith goggles the best. The foam is great and the lenses have great coatings on them. I would recommend bringing your helmet if you really want to make sure the goggles fit and are comfortable. My Smiths are a very, very tight fit with my new Airoh helmet.

The price of lens's is out of control

I did some thing about it. I use scott's over my glasses

I made a punch & die !!!!! it works great mitl. cost .33 each

I went with the voltage proair they are wicked nice. Thanks for the help.

Chris

i really like my scott no sweat xi. i am hoping to get the transition lenses for them soon

I guess you've already picked some out, but I want to throw in my $.02 anyway.

I sat at the local shop for an hour trying on goggles. I liked the fit of Scotts ("desert" "anti fog" was written on the box) but the guys there said they don't breath well with the thick foam and would fog up anyway. Being that they were like $65, I passed. I still liked the fit of scotts, but anything with tear off holders (pretty much everyhting in the shop) was right in my perifrial and irritated me. I compromised a little fit and went with Oakley Provens because the tear off dealy didn't "blind" me as much.

Last time I checked Greg Minnaar raced mountain bikes not enduros.

http://www.gmfanclub.com/ride/

I think the closest he came to racing off road was riding mountain bikes for Honda's failed atempt at the biking industry.

OK then, seeing as MX tracks are classed as on-road, how about Oakley's Greg Minnaar, the South African enduro racer?

Aaaaaannnyyway, Oakley Crowbar enduro goggles are comfy and stay clear, as do my Uvex goggles (they're well worth looking at - but I'm not sure if they sponsor any off-road motorcyclists so you may not be interested)