Sign in to follow this  

Be nice or not be nice..

At a hare scramble we attended this past weekend, the hosting club decided they would do a Fun Run. This is where anyone including kids can go run the Saturday race course.🙂

Well, I had decided to be nice and allow another adult borrow my DRZ125L to go out of the fun run - just to have fun, right? Well he bent my bars.🤣

Now normally I would not be bothered by this, but this man has made no attempt to offer to buy me new ones. Ladies what would you do??

And BTW - this man is also my neighbor who also has teenage boys who have ridden my bike in our backyard track.

Should I now no longer allow anyone to ride it? Should I say something the the guy? What? Any advise would help. 👍

Thanks

It's kind of too late now on this one, but next time make sure you say "you brake it you fix it, right?"

That is a standing phrase around our garage. I even asked if he broke anything and he said yes. Well OK then man up and fix it. Right??

Scot,

I have a long standing rule:worthy:

NOBODY RIDES MY BIKE!!!! Don't give a crap if BUBBA, CHAD or the GOAT (aka Ricky) wanted too. Been there done that.

Since he's a neighbor and they ride maybe turn him on to TT and let him see the responses :moon:and maybe he'll man up (a man riding a 125....***!!).

I'll be happy to come down there and we can take him out on the BC trails and "maybe" he might disappear???👍

Don:thumbsup:

It's kind of too late now on this one, but next time make sure you say "you brake it you fix it, right?"

+1

I barely let anyone ride my bike cuz I'm always on it but, I don't willingly let people borrow my bike but if I due then I still kinda make it a big deal so the person gets the point that if they mess it up then I'm gonna be pissed. Sometimes my parents say the whole thing "it's good to share" but in the end they know I bought the bike with my own money and paid for everything on that bike myself.....I only let people I really trust ride it and can actually handle it.

It's called the 3 B'S. You bend it,you break it , you buy it. That should pretty much go without saying

Get a quote for how much the repair is and just give it to him. Maybe he'll man up and fix it.

I say say something. And if they choose not to help you out then you don't let them ride it again. For him to say he broke it but not fix it is wrong.

I had the same thing happen, they never fixed the bike but they never rode it again either. I still let people ride my bike but only my spare bike. Nobody rides my favorite unless they are helping me work on it.

Get a quote for how much the repair is and just give it to him. Maybe he'll man up and fix it.

Make sure the quote includes the LABOR charge for handelbar install :thumbsup:That'll get his attention.

At a hare scramble we attended this past weekend, the hosting club decided they would do a Fun Run. This is where anyone including kids can go run the Saturday race course.:applause:

Well, I had decided to be nice and allow another adult borrow my DRZ125L to go out of the fun run - just to have fun, right? Well he bent my bars.🙂

Now normally I would not be bothered by this, but this man has made no attempt to offer to buy me new ones. Ladies what would you do??

And BTW - this man is also my neighbor who also has teenage boys who have ridden my bike in our backyard track.

Should I now no longer allow anyone to ride it? Should I say something the the guy? What? Any advise would help. 🤣

Thanks

It doesn't sound like you have even said anything to him, he may not even know you're pissed at him. For all you know he may have already ordered the bars and is waiting for them to come in.?.? You're an adult, go over to his house and let him know that the situation has been bothering you and you would like to know when he is going to get your bike fixed.👍

If he doesn't fix your bike, don't let him or his kids on your property to ride anymore, simple as that. Good luck, keep us posted. When did this incident occure?

MAX!!!

exactly right 06yz, it sounds like u havn't even said anything, u should of said something the day of the incident

I asked the day it happened. He told me he bent them.

My hubby said something too. I talked over with hubby and since I am the one who bought it he will back me up and tell whoever asks to ride it that they can not. (he is the one who is at home more and around the kids). Tell the kids they have to talk to me. He agreed.

I want to thank you all for your feedback. I have learned a great lesson - no one rides my junk but me and my family. 👍

So did you go to your neighbor's house and tell him you would appreciate it if he would replace the bars?

MAX!!!

No. We have decided to let it ride, but no one is ever going to ride our stuff again.

Lesson learned.

Bottom line is as everyone said - you break it you buy it.

However, if they were the stock bars, they were going to bend/break the first time someone laid it down. Replace them yourself (as you're going to do).

If they were aftermarket bars he would have had to really wreck to bend them...he should pay.

OK now this is strange.... so strange that I'm posting in the girls forum!

I too was at a race that same weekend you were. Only the club I am with was host and I worked the races. Long story short an EMT comes in with a flat in the middle of the C (carnage) race so I lent him my bike in a pinch without even the slightest hesitation. Shorter yet... He crashed and bent my bars.

The first thing out of his mouth was "sorry, I crashed your bike" closely followed by "I bent your bars but have a spare set you can have and I will install them for you if you tell me where."

I didn't know this guy from dirt, he was not a club member and I could hardly remember his name. For all I know he killed the real EMT and stole his fancy blue vest. But you know what, he did the right thing. And there you have it.

What is the right thing to do in this case? We all know. The guy who bent your bars knows. Count yourself lucky. You've identified one more person in the world you can't trust.

That said though, don't change your generous and thoughtful ways. Lend your bike out to those in need because its the right thing to do.

Well, I think it's important to distinguish between what "Nice" and "Not Nice" actually is...

"Nice" does NOT mean you don't stand up for yourself. "Nice" does not mean that you HAVE to let people take advantage of you.

"Not Nice" does NOT mean standing up and telling someone when they've been a total &%$#@!. "Not Nice" does NOT mean that you have a backbone and are willing to use it verbally.

Now, if you decide that an incident is unimportant enough to allow it to pass by without throwing a fit, that's entirely another story. Not nice, is cutting someone off without even trying to mend the situation, IMO.

Well, I think it's important to distinguish between what "Nice" and "Not Nice" actually is...

"Nice" does NOT mean you don't stand up for yourself. "Nice" does not mean that you HAVE to let people take advantage of you.

"Not Nice" does NOT mean standing up and telling someone when they've been a total &%$#@!. "Not Nice" does NOT mean that you have a backbone and are willing to use it verbally.

Now, if you decide that an incident is unimportant enough to allow it to pass by without throwing a fit, that's entirely another story. Not nice, is cutting someone off without even trying to mend the situation, IMO.

I agree completely, was thinking this same thing when I first read this thread but wasn't sure how to word it in a post.

Lend your bike out to those in need because its the right thing to do.

👍 If you are saying that overall it is good for people to have a generous heart, that is one thing. But if you are saying that loaning out one's belongings is "right" and/or "expected", I don't quite agree.

As the owner of any property, we have a right to choose whether or not we share it with others and open ourselves up to a certain amount of risk in doing so. Exercising judgement in loaning property is proper. Afterall, people don't equally hold the same values in caring for things...some people can be more careless or neglectful about things than I would be, for example.

But I feel strongly that should someone be entrusted with my property, they are responsible for fixing/replacing anything they break while it is in their care/possession. It is "not nice" for someone to take advantage of another's generosity by borrowing their things, break them, and neglect/ignore to fix it when they return it. JMHO.

Have you thought about presenting him with the repair bill?