Sign in to follow this  

2010 450SX-F R&D PowerBowl + JD Jetting Kit

I just wanted to post a short report on some of the work I've done on my SXF so far. I rode the bike stock, twice at a friends small, private track before making any power mods.

Stock, the bike felt good. It was very tractable on the bottom and felt decent in the mid (the track is not big enough to really open it up). I added the ignition map selector button for the second ride and could feel a slight difference between the two maps.

I then performed the following mods:

NoToil SuperFlow Kit (removes backfire screen)

JD Jetting kit (only used main, pilot & needle)

R&D PowerBowl (includes accel pump spring, accel pump)

R&D Flex Jet

I used JD's recommended setting for near sea-level riding and set the adjustable leak jet to #60 (I believe).

Went back out to my friends track and was really surprised at how much bottom-end the bike had gained.

Stock it had seemed tractable but kind of soft. Now it was strong but doesn't pull your arms off. Mid-range power was better too, the bike picked the front wheel up even easier.

Throttle response was just great. Very crisp, no bogs, started and idled much better than stock.

Now here is the kicker. After a few laps trading the bike between my friend and I, I noticed that we had been riding around on the slower ignition map. No joke.

I kicked it over to the faster map and the bike picked up a little more power in the low and mid (remember, can't really open it up at this track) but the throttle response picked up significantly. The bike was REALLY crisp or barky. It felt aggressive and just wanted to go.

Anyway, I had a chance to ride it at Extreme Motorsports in Spokane this past Saturday (3/27) and the bike was great. I've haven't ridden much the last few years so I just kept it on the slower map most of the time but the bike was very strong and ran without a hitch.

I'm coming off of a 2005 CRF450R with no motor mods. I am really happy with the bike and will post another thread with info on the other mods I've done to the bike.

-Jeff

Lower the needle clip one notch (richer) from the rec. setting and you´ll be even happier !

Well my reply to this is mixed at best. I have ridden an 06 XCW300 since 2006 and I about killed myself trying to sort the jetting. One try with JD's kit and I just change the plug each year for the hell of it. Awesome stuff! 👍

I recently had my 14 yo son confiscate my beloved 300 which necesitated a new bike for me. I bought an 09 YZ450. The bike wouldn't run very well as delivered but then it was 35 degrees outside. I put all of the same carb upgrades in my new YZ as you and I have to say it is a damned impressive machine. It will never be as magic as my Orange 300, but as a father you have to try and give your kids the best you possibly can. Now instead of waiting for him I am working to keep up, so I think I made my mark on this.

On the Yammie though, the Power Bowl, Remote Fuel Screw and Jd Kit worked miracles. I'm sure you will feel the same.

BubZ

Ville, I'll give the needle a try as I have the shock out for a new spring (TBT low coil count, saves 1lb) and a FC 'Works' Bearing pre-load ring set.

Bubz, that's cool to hear you had similar results. I wasn't really expecting any power gains but it is noticeable - and the throttle response is wicked!

-Jeff