anyone used white greese as cable lube?

You could get it into the cable ends with some working but I'm not sure how one might get grease (which is thick) down into the cable innards. Most manuals I have read will recommend motor oil to lube cables, but for me the oil tends to run out the bottom end of the cable all over the motor case or elsewhere. Maybe I don't drain it long enough. (drain it LOL) Now that I think about it, I have not lubed my cables in over a year and have not encountered any binding, sticking or other problems. Also I carry a spare clutch cable but not decomp, I could get by without decomp for a ride. Not sure if this helps you but there ya go.

I have used white grease...it works great until it attracts all the dirt/dust.

more then silicone spray? how is dust going to get into the cable, one end is inside the throttle body. very little dust gets in there. the other end of the cable on the carb is vertical, I doubt much dust will work its way up the throttle cable.

more then silicone spray? how is dust going to get into the cable, one end is inside the throttle body. very little dust gets in there. the other end of the cable on the carb is vertical, I doubt much dust will work its way up the throttle cable.

Over time...not just after one ride.

As posted by someone else above, how would you get the grease down the cable housing?? The cable lube gadgets work ok, clamp it on, wrap a rag around it cause some will squirt out, but it will come out the other end. Then you KNOW your cable is lubed..

I use the regular aerosol cable lube with the applicator thing. Spray it till it runs out the other end, which will take any dirt that may have accumulated with it. Only use it on my clutch cable, worked good so far. I lube it every few rides and the same can has lasted for 3 years now (bout empty though).

For those of you that do not have the cable lubber thingeee (everyone else called it that), keep your old crank oil in a pail or bucket and you can take your cable off the bike and submerge it in the old oil. Leave it over night and every once in a while go out and slide the cable back and forth. Thats old school way before the cable lubber thingeeee.

Edited by Padgett

if you ride sand or or overly dry conditions where dust is everywhere... it becomes trapped inside your cable and makes clutch effort incredibly difficult. I learned the hard way, I used white grease before a sand/dust race and after the race the clutch was gunked at the cable opening and just caked the inside. I had to buy a new cable. With it, i bought a cable specific lube, and it works much better, and it was the same price as the white grease.

just for your info.

Ive used white lithium grease all the time for my clutch and throttle cables and have never had any issues.

I race MX all the time in the mud,rain,sun,dust and just maintain them every third race and they stay fine.

Although i have one of those cable lubers that fit on the end of the cable and then you insert the straw through the hole to get down into the cable.

Come to think of it......i dont recall ever seeing any dust or grit at the opening of the hole.