Sign in to follow this  

engine stalls

I was putting the bike away last fall and put some gas stabilizer in the tank and was going to run it around the block and got to the intersection and it stalled and wouldn't restart. I put it in storage for the winter with plans to look at it in the spring. Just figured there was a piece of dirt in the pilot jet. Well today I took the bowl off and cleaned everything figured that would do the trick. Started the bike and warmed it up, it stalled once and ran good after that. Went to run it around the block and the damn thing stalled in the exact same intersection. It did the same thing and it wont restart. Just put fresh 93 octane in the tank. What would cause this? I hope there is a few things to look at so I don't have to take the Clarke tank off once again to change the plug. I believe the plug was new in the summer.

No I checked the vent this morn. I just went and started the bike and it cranked right up, so I gave a little throttle to see what happens and it stalled out shortly again. Checked the radiator and all is good. It isn't an overheating problem it never got hot enough to turn on the fan. I can't figure it out. The darn thing wont restart till it sits for a while.

Dont think so, the oil was changed last early fall and looks good. I just went and cleaned the air filter, it didn't look bad but maybe it was running too lean as they do already. I'll see what happens when the filter goes back on.

When you had the bowl off did you check all the jets an their passage ways?

Also check the fuel needle and seat it could be sticking closed then it would run till the bowl empties and stall.

Another common issue is the vacuum line to the petcock, altho that usually allows no fuel unless it's hooked up.

Gotta ask; enough gas in the tank?(I ask cause I've overlooked simple things like this b4, thinking there's enough)

when I clean a carb I try to make sure air and carb cleaner passes thru every passageway possible, so I don't have to do it again cause I missed something.

I guess it's also poss. that it's electrical. Maybe a wire pinched, when you stop it's grounding out? Not likely but poss.

Water in the fuel can make weird problems too, easy to miss when you empty the bowl unless your really looking for it.

Hope you get it str8ned out. Brian

Just changed oil and cleaned air cleaner again. Went for a rid and everything seems OK. Thanks for the info.