Sign in to follow this  

steering stabilizer handling

i just put a gpr steering stabilzer on my ktm. i have a bad wrist that just got fused in nov 09 so it is kinda tender and cant take hard impacts. so i figured a stabilizer would help with those sharp edged hits from rocks, roots, and ledges.

my reason for this thread is i cant quite get the feel for my cornering with the gpr.

i chose the gpr over the scotts specifically because it has resistance on turning and return to center in both directions where as the scotts have resistance when turning but no resistance on return to center, so if i hit a rock while turned it will impact my wrist, so i liked the IDEA of the gpr.

is there any input you guys have who have been using them on how to improve my cornering with it. if i have it set at #1 it isnt bad but when i turn it over #3 it makes the bike push the front end really bad. im sure it is just a technique thing i havent mastered yet but is there any tips you guys have that will help???

👍

I don't even notice mine at #3 which is my preferred setting until I hit something that should have deflected my front wheel. I'm running my fork raised in clamps to quicken steering though on both 530 and SXf450. Tried that?

I agree with your comments. I have both types (Scotts and GPR) and I don't really like my GPR v2, it seems to make the turning too slow because it's 'always on'. That's the main reason I preffer the Scott's. I think the GPR v4, or some others are more like the Scott's (free return to center) and that set-up seriously improves turning (or basically doesn't hurt turning from stock)!

I never run it over setting #1, and don't know many people else who do either. Unless they have a very, very old one that probably leaked out oil already!!!

Don't know what to tell you, but I've tried thinner oil and lately, believe it or not I opened the two screws in the back of the damper and drained a bit of oil out of each, only a mere 1 oz or two. (I'll call them bleed screws, but not sure that's really what they are for). That might have helped a little actually!?

I will say the GPR is way better in serious rock gardens though! My take is since I believe they came from a street bike background they don't 'have to' turn as sharp and much as dirt bikes do. Just not as good in tight, twisty Hare Scrambles/Moto/Enduro environment, for yours truely anyhoe...

Not too bad in Baja though?

mike that is the info im looking for...is it that i need to steer more with the rear wheel, kinda old school style.

i kinda ride more mx or even sx style, come in hot, brake hard, get off the brakes and carve the front wheel into the turn, up on the tank and get right back on the throttle.

that doesnt seem to work with the stabilizer.

the last half of my last ride, i was trying to get off of the brakes earlier, lean in and carry a little more momentum kinda sliding the rear wheel. that seemed to help some, so is that more the way i gotta ride now?

did you try to narrow the degree of damping?, i run a scotts on my yz426 and a gpr on my 525exc, in single track i will run both at the 10 degree setting, desert 100 style i will run it at 4 to 5 setting with 30 degrees of damping. Track riding I guess I am not good enough to feel it push my front end, but than again I am a road racer first so I am use to heavy steering

with my GPR broken in I run from 2 in the woods to 4 in the desert, probly needs lighter oil so I can get more fine tuning with it. The whole idea is to prevent the bars from turning with these so yeah you have to ride it different.

did you try to narrow the degree of damping?, i run a scotts on my yz426 and a gpr on my 525exc, in single track i will run both at the 10 degree setting, desert 100 style i will run it at 4 to 5 setting with 30 degrees of damping. Track riding I guess I am not good enough to feel it push my front end, but than again I am a road racer first so I am use to heavy steering

a gpr is adjustable on the degree? i heard they werent...my is at 12* + or-

i will have to call them i guess

thanx for the info i guess i just need more saddle time

i chose the gpr over the scotts specifically because it has resistance on turning and return to center in both directions where as the scotts have resistance when turning but no resistance on return to center, so if i hit a rock while turned it will impact my wrist, so i liked the IDEA of the gpr.

Even though the Scotts damper does not damp back to center, the completely separate high speed damping circuit in the Scotts always takes care of high speed impacts.

scotts has 3 circuits so it is always damping, if you look up the specs on both you will see how adjust the degrees, super easy takes seconds

what would be the advantage to a motosportz....i chose the gpr because it has the resistance in every direction whereas the scotts has resistance from center out each way but not on return to center.

what is the better feature of the motosportz?

motosportz has dampaning both ways...... it just seems more stable to me. nothing wrong with the scotts at all but imo the motosportz feels a little smoother to me.

I have both the scotts and the motosports...

It's hard to put your finger on it, but i suppose the reason i like the motosportz is that it works just as well as my scotts, is smaller/lighter, is easier to install, and is cheaper.....plus it's different....

I've had my scott's for 8 years now, so longevity and quality are a given/known quantity, and it does have more adjustability (but i set it and leave it)...

I will say the motosports is very very well machined with crazy tolerances (had to use wd40 to slide the unit into the mount)...it appears it will hold / last a very long time....

Cant go wrong either way...i already had the scott's so i branched out....very happy with the Motosportz to date.