Sign in to follow this  

450's and up on the road

Hey all, looking at getting a KTM dual purpose that is at least 450cc. How well do these things do at highway speeds? I'm mostly referring to engines here, I don't want to be wound out at 65.

I've heard they can last quite awhile on road, like 20,000 miles...seem unreasonable?

I guess a lot of it comes down to gearing, mostly looking for feedback from riders of 450cc + machines.

Thanks!

the KTM450exc is a six speed so you'll have no problems what so ever with highway. I rode one the other day and they handle their speed very well. I was cruising in 5th gear at 55 mph no prob. Just make sure your rims are balanced and your good.

I really like my 650R Honda for the 'Dual sport thing' With stock gearing it does 75 with a little zing in the bars but at 65 it feels good.It tops out at 93 with stock gearing.

I had a DRZ 400 years back,wasn't happy with the gearing,to do 65-75 you had to gear it up,then first gear was too tall for trail use. But...i sure miss the e-start.

Great thanks. I thought these would be good for on road but you know how it is on the internet.

Off track but I was looking at an 06 ktm 625 smc...that thing must be a snail...28hp or something like that?!?! I thought I remembered my 02 yz250f having more then that... Oh well, the search continues...👍

Remember that 450s mostly have "high strung" race motors will require a LOT of maintenance if you're putting the miles on. Without oil changes every few hundred miles and frequent valve checks / adjustments, they will not last.