Sign in to follow this  

how to tell if you clutch basket needs to be repalced?

If you rev the motor in gear with the clutch pulled in and it tries to pull away, I'd say it was time for replacement!

When you get what Bob describes, the plates don't seperate properly leading to what I described. Sometimes better to remove and inspect for wear in the basket.

When you get what Bob describes, the plates don't seperate properly leading to what I described. Sometimes better to remove and inspect for wear in the basket.

I googled worn clutch basket and couldnt find any good pics. is there a service limit measurement? or when its grooved you just file?

If it's grooved you may get away with filing, when I had this problem on a GSXR, the grooving didn't look that bad, I even showed the basket and inner hub to my mate who is an independant Motorcycle mechanic and he thought it would be ok, but, we couldn't fix the problem, until I bought a new one.

Clutch action may not be smooth..wear marks in the basket where the fiber plates sit in the channels. Take a pic if you have it. If the clutch action, not clutch "slip" feels ok, I wouldnt worry too much.