Lighting options

What kind of lighting options are there for fast night riding, where I'm not using my bikes lighting. I used a front sx type # plate on my 250, I would like somesort of quick mounting option for a good light to either mount on my helmet or temporarily on my bike for a 30min to an hour of riding in the evening. Trying to get a little more time to train for harescrambles.

Riding will be woods, single track, 10-30mph

?

More info? Is that something that mounts on your helmet?

They come with a ballast and are made to mount onto the bike. I have them mounted where the stock lights are. You could fab a bracket to mount them to your bars or # plate, they are small yet so powerfull. they will light up every thing 100 ft in front of you. The brighest light I've ever used, I do lots of night riding in the dunes.

I see there are a fair amount of threads on this subject, but it seems most are leaning toward LED's as the new light of choice? Anyone run both and have a favorite?

HID (High Intensity Discharge) are bright. Led has come out with new technology and are just as bright if not brighter. they have a longer life aswell, but at twice the cost

HID lights are still gas filled bulbs right? Just a "High Intensity"?

HID lights have a capsule of gas instead of the tungsten filament. The gas is actually used to produce light instead of simply slowing the decay of the bulb. Two electrodes are positioned close together and hermetically sealed inside the gas capsule. The electrodes are wired to a ballast containing a circuit board with several high current capacitors, transistors, and resistors. The ballast acts as the light's control center, igniting the light and then regulating its power flow.

When the ballast ignites, it takes in a small amount of power and creates an intense charge of electricity across the electrodes. This electrical charge excites the gas molecules inside the bulb and causes them to discharge photon particles, producing light. Because the light is based on this gas discharge, HID lights only produce about 5% of their total output at ignition and can require up to 30 seconds to warm up to full power. If the light is turned off, it must cool to a certain temperature before it can be re-ignited.

This process creates several significant advantages over a standard light bulb. Because heat not a necessary component of light production in HID lights, they are able to produce the same or even more light at a much cooler temperature. HID lights are also far more efficient because the electrical current is only the catalyst for the gas to discharge its light particles, not the primary source of heat and light. The ballast regulates a constant flow of power only to keep the gas molecules excited, while a standard light requires a constant intense electrical current to keep the filament hot. HID bulbs will last longer than standard bulbs because of the rapid decay of the tungsten filament and will also produce more light toward the end of its life.

In addition to being more efficient, HID lights also produce brighter and more intense light because the entire capsule of gas is used instead of just a small filament in the middle of the bulb. This also means that the light will be distributed more evenly than with a standard bulb. This advantage in light quality is a major reason why HID systems are preferable for automotive and gardening lights. Motorists are able to see much more with HID headlights than with standard halogen headlights. In fact, many car manufacturers are including HID lights as part of their standard ?

Do the HID's draw less current than the LED's? I'm gathering parts for a dual sport conversion and am intrigued by the HID's if I could get them to work in a D/S headlight.

HID's use a ballast to convert and multiply the voltage. The ballast draws less power than you'r stock halogen bulb. I could never go back to stock lighting after using HID's.