Sign in to follow this  

older (1989) cr80 conversion? options? ideas?

Hey guys,

I have been having a blast riding my xr, but recently aquired a 1989 cr80 roller. Is this chassis worth stuffing the xr motor into? Also, What about the cr front end on my xr? The longer travel/disc brake seems attractive.. Anyone know if it's a direct conversion? I suppose I'd need a TK link for the rear at that point...has anyone run the TK link w/ stock swinger??

i have a tk link with the stock swinger, i have a thread about my homemade frame cradle that is a few threads down that has some pics of a tk and works shock setup.

the tk links is the link for the suspension but it is designed to increase the ride height and travel to match fork conversions.

Personally I never liked the early rollers. The rear is super soft and is really hard to get stiff and balanced for an adult size (or even kids nowadays). That's why back then we use KX rollers.

Edited by socalxr

Some pics of early CR80 conversions. It can be done without cutting the bottom out of the frame but I don't have much more advice to give:

RacingXRs4.jpg

cartwrights%20CR80.jpg

RacingXRs1.JPG

RacingXRs2.JPG

And my 82 CR80 conversion I raced back in the 90s.

xr04.jpg

awesome pics bob! thanks for that.

I think that I've decided against using the whole chassis, but I do think I'll try to use the front end coupled with a TK link out back. Anyone know if the front end height/length of the old cr's is similar to the new ones?

Another thing I'm curious about...if I use the CR front end I'll have a 17" up front and a 16" out back...anybody run a setup like that? I think I may rather have a bigger wheel out front...?

Thanks,

Joe

on second thought, doesn't look like anyone readily sells stiff enough fork springs for the older cr forks:banghead: back to the drawing board..