i'm buying a rmz, please help!!!

ok guys, there are 90% chances for me to trade my '08 85 sx with an '05 rmz 250 which looks pretty good. Haven't tested the bike yet, but i will. I just want to ask, any general defects for this bike? Do the valves need adjusted often? Does the oil have to be changed often? Also the air filter, will i have to take it out and clean after every ride? [the ride will be on open field,trails and rarely on track, so i won't pull the lungs out of the bike].

Edited by 2strokey

Does the oil have to be changed often? Also the air filter, will i have to take it out and clean after every ride? [the ride will be on open field,trails and rarely on track, so i won't pull the lungs out of the bike].

The mainance is just like your 85sx. You have to change the oil and filter about every 10 to 15 hours of ride time. The air filter needs to be changed every day that you ride. I never let a air filter set a week then go ride. The filter oil has ran to the bottom of the filter and your now letting dust into your engine. If nothing else remember one thing.... Thats YOUR bike. Treat it how you like but don't come back crying that the engine needs a new cylinder because you got lazy and didn't want to clean your filters....I'll have no sympathy

No defects really. People claimed the 07 went through the stock clutch plates fast and have a false neutral. But I have the same exact bike and nothing has happened. Even after racing alot of supermoto.

Valves? VERY reliable valve system. I have 62 hrs on mine. Valves have not moved a bit. You will NOT find valve issues on RMZs. If you do have a problem with the bike, it would be somewhere in the tranny.

Oil. Manuel claimed every 4-6 hrs. I just change mine every 2 rides with the oil filter. Adding the oil filter everytime is easier because you only have to pour an exact quart of oil. No measuring.

Air filter changed everyride. It's really easy to change the air filter. It's just a circle. Unlike the Yamaha where the shape is lopsidded. It's also easy to get in and out. It takes a few minutes to clean it.

I advise if you do buy an RMZ get a 2007 and up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The 06 and below were made my Kawi and were not that good. You can buy a brand new rmz for an awesome price right now. Id say buy a new one. Go for it!

Does the oil have to be changed often? Also the air filter, will i have to take it out and clean after every ride? [the ride will be on open field,trails and rarely on track, so i won't pull the lungs out of the bike].

The mainance is just like your 85sx. You have to change the oil and filter about every 10 to 15 hours of ride time. The air filter needs to be changed every day that you ride. I never let a air filter set a week then go ride. The filter oil has ran to the bottom of the filter and your now letting dust into your engine. If nothing else remember one thing.... Thats YOUR bike. Treat it how you like but don't come back crying that the engine needs a new cylinder because you got lazy and didn't want to clean your filters....I'll have no sympathy

thanks for the advice...one small thing: the 85 sx has gas-oil mixture, so i have to "change" the oil by the time i put gas...?

No defects really. People claimed the 07 went through the stock clutch plates fast and have a false neutral. But I have the same exact bike and nothing has happened. Even after racing alot of supermoto.

Valves? VERY reliable valve system. I have 62 hrs on mine. Valves have not moved a bit. You will NOT find valve issues on RMZs. If you do have a problem with the bike, it would be somewhere in the tranny.

Oil. Manuel claimed every 4-6 hrs. I just change mine every 2 rides with the oil filter. Adding the oil filter everytime is easier because you only have to pour an exact quart of oil. No measuring.

Air filter changed everyride. It's really easy to change the air filter. It's just a circle. Unlike the Yamaha where the shape is lopsidded. It's also easy to get in and out. It takes a few minutes to clean it.

I advise if you do buy an RMZ get a 2007 and up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The 06 and below were made my Kawi and were not that good. You can buy a brand new rmz for an awesome price right now. Id say buy a new one. Go for it!

believe me, if i didn't have any financial problems i would've taken the 2010 250 this second ?

when you say change air filter, you mean go out and buy a completely new air filter for every ride!? really? can't you just clean it?