YZ250 Cylinder Retrofit

I SWEAR someone mentioned the powervalves being changed around the 2002 area.....it might have been BRM. It might be worth checking as those pieces get expensive.

The exhaust port height did change by a slight amount, so the head volume was altered slightly between 2002 and 2003. I dont believe its enough to matter.

It was me who mentioned that the powervalve changed but someone else on here noted that they had used the same power valve in a later model bike.

Just to recap

part numbers 2000-1 power valve numbers are the same

2002 powervalve Part # changed.

But ..... and it is worth noting .. the 2001 and 2002 cylinders are the same part # number.

Therefore I contest that is is safe to use the same 2000 powervalve in a later model engine.

Also the later model cylinder should drop right on the 2000 model.

I have a 2002 bike with a 2002 cylinder. I have a 2001 head on it.

I also have a 2003 cylinder which is supposed to be where the porting changed a tiny bit from 2002. The 2003 cylinder will fit, so I sent it off for re-plate.

So 2002 and 2003 are interchangable, which leads me to believe that at least 02 to 10 are as well.

• 3 months later...

old post i kno but im in the same situation u r!

i took my bike to pismo sand got inside my top end n to top it off it overheated n caused two cracks by the powervalves so now i need a new cylinder.

My powervalves r still good but i need a definite answer to which cylinders work so i can get a new one. if anyone has a2000 cylinder pm me!

It was me who mentioned that the powervalve changed but someone else on here noted that they had used the same power valve in a later model bike.

Just to recap

part numbers 2000-1 power valve numbers are the same

2002 powervalve Part # changed.

But ..... and it is worth noting .. the 2001 and 2002 cylinders are the same part # number.

Therefore I contest that is is safe to use the same 2000 powervalve in a later model engine.

Also the later model cylinder should drop right on the 2000 model.

It was me, I have a 04 pv in a 99cly w/ a 02 head on an 02 bottom end

99-10 will swap

cool since my cylinder is beyond repair ima buy a scratched up 03 cylinder on ebay n send it out have it re plated

anyone kno how much that runs for? the cylinder has a few chips n scratches

abt 200

or 250 if it needs welded (deep scratches)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...
9 hours ago, Moore Wheelies said:

Recently my 2001 YZ250’s piston grenaded and now I’m looking for a new cylinder. I was wondering if someone could help me find out if a newer model cylinder would work or what models would work because I cannot find a 2001 cylinder 

I'm running a 5up cylinder on my 00 so you have many many years to choose from or send yours out to power seal USA or millienum for resurface, be brand new

14 hours ago, Moore Wheelies said:

Recently my 2001 YZ250’s piston grenaded and now I’m looking for a new cylinder. I was wondering if someone could help me find out if a newer model cylinder would work or what models would work because I cannot find a 2001 cylinder 

Are you in the USA? If so, PM me for details.

• Helpful 1