Sign in to follow this  

BritishColumbia KTM 400 xc-w or Crf 250x

I live in B.C. and I mostly ride atv trails and single track, but I would like to be able to go down to the dunes a couple times a year as well. Looking for opinions on what would be better Ktm 400 xc-w or honda crf 250x with mods.

Im A Honda fan all the way! But I would go with the ktm400!! More power when you need it and more fun. Plus I think the weigh about the same etc. I would guess it depends on what you can afford though? Just my 2c's

On second thought how about a CRF450R!! Flywheel weight/gearing and protection and call it done. THats what I upgraded to from my XR250 ultimate trail bike and will never look back!

I actually own both of these bikes (2005 250x and 2009 400XCw). They are both great bikes and have a lot of similarity on the trail in how they ride and how the power hits. The real difference is felt in top end power. The 250x engine feels similar to the 400XCw with a throttle stop.

If sand dunes truly are important the only way the 250x will really work is if you're not very big (i.e. less than 150-160lbs). If you are this small, I would have a really hard time justifying the extra cost for the 400XCw in any instance.

If you're a big guy (i.e. more than 210lbs) and cost really isn't an issue get the 400XCw.

If you are a mid size guy and don't race, ride technical single track or test big hills, get the 250x and don't look back.

If none of the above scenario's apply and the cost difference isn't a big deal then get the 400XCw. You won't regret it.

If cost is an issue and you're a mid size guy, race or ride technical single track or test big hills, you've got a tough decision to make. As I said, these 2 bikes have lot of similarities.

Thank you for the input, I'm really leaning towards the XCW as I am on the taller side at about 215 Ibs, I'm looking at new 09's . The only thing that concerns me about the KTM is ease of ownership vs. the honda. I plan on keeping the bike for a few years so... Are the parts that much more expensive? Are they as hard to get as people say? What does the warranty cover and what are the restrictions? Are they harder to work on than honda's? It really is a tough decision and somewhat of a commitment, so any info is much appreciated.

If your 215lbs without gear and can afford the 400XCw get it. Either way though, you likely won't be disappointed as they are both great bikes.

If you can afford the 400XCw the price difference for any parts will not be a big deal. As well even if the KTM parts are a little more the total cost likely won't be more as the 250x will likely require more of them. The common maintanence items are the valves, piston, chain, sprockets and plastic. Of these, they will all be essentially the same except the valves and piston which will need more replacing on the little 250x than the 400XCw. As far as availability, KTM parts are as available as Honda parts.

Warranty should will not really be a consideration on a dirt bike, as these are both considered competition models and come with little to no warranty. A bigger concern would be quality of the area dealer and willingness to stand behind their products and service.

As for working on them, the 400XCw is probably easier, due to the lack of linkage and easier access to the carb. The carb on the 250x is very difficult to get at.

Only other question I have is about the ktm brakes; is there anything you can do to make them a little more forgiving?

Thanks again,