Coronary Artery Bypass Graft surgery...

I am having open heart surgery for a double bypass on the 12th of this month. My left coronary artery is 100% blocked and the one to the left of that is 99% blocked. They plan to use mammary artery from chest wall to fix left coronary artery and the radial artery from my left arm for the second.

The only question I have is related to where they will "harvest" the artery for the second bypass - they plan on taking the radial artery from my left arm. This supplies blood to my hand - there is another artery that will cover the load. I am worried that this will affect the strength in my left hand or maybe have cramping problems etc.

I explained to my doctor I needed strength in my arms for motorcycle riding - I don't think he understood what is needed.

Has anyone had this surgery and had the artery taken from your left arm as the donor? What are your experiences relative to riding?

FYI - I am a 50 year old senior A/Expert rider and like to ride smooth and fast (slowing down as the years go by...). 👍

jeff

Well - my doctor's office called today and moved things up 10 days - I go in tomorrow.

From looking around the web and talking to my doctor - there will be numbness and weakness in my left arm (where they borrow an artery for the bypass) - this will last 2-3 months and all should be well after that. The remaining artery - the ulnar - will pick up the slack and adapt - flowing more blood....

thanks,

jeff

Why not use the greater saphenous vein like they usually do? Hope your surgery went well...I highly doubt that your left anterior descending and circumflex coronary arteries were that occluded, but I get what you mean.

I am back from the hospital now. They ended up using the mammary artery and the left radial artery (forearm).

You may doubt that the given arteries were that occluded, but they were - completely blocked on the former and 99% blocked on the latter....

Doctors said I was very healthy and blockages must have occurred over time and revascularization had occured to pick up the slack. I should feel alot better when all is done...

My understanding is the saphenous vein is no longer the go to place for harvesting. The Mammary artery and the radial arteries (forearm) are preferable as they have a longer lifespan In the past the radial artery would constrict - they now overcome it with medication, etc.

jeff