Sign in to follow this  

cleaning filter

i took my filter off and cleaned all the crap out of it. i was wondering how to apply the oil to it

I am a fan of the no-toil system for my filters.

Basically with oil you pour some on and squeeze the filter to distribute the oil evenly, then squeeze out any excess oil that you can. Thats about it.

I dribble a little at a time, kinda make stripes on the filter with the oil, then squeeze and do it again trying to hit the parts I missed; then turn it inside out and do it again until I have full coverage. The secret to doing it is getting full coverage and squeezing the excess out, if you have $'s to burn - just pour the oil in a pan and drop to filter in, but make sure you squeeze the heck out of it!!!!

I like the spray on oils.....makes much much less mess and I can control how much goes on a lot better. Be prepared to get messy either way, though.

I use a walmart plastic bag and turn it inside out over my hand, then grab the filter with that hand...I spray the filter fully with the oil and then pull the bag over the filter and work the oil into the filter for several minutes. It's also best to let the filter air out after application for several hours...allows the solvents to evaporate out of the oil.

I pour my filter oil in an 1gal icecream bucket (eat the icecrem first). I then take my clean filter and dip it in the oil outside down. Squeeze as much oil out of the filter and make sure you got good coverage. The oil will get inside and out. Now just put the icecream lid back on your bucket and its good for the next time.

I am a fan of the no-toil system for my filters.

Basically with oil you pour some on and squeeze the filter to distribute the oil evenly, then squeeze out any excess oil that you can. Thats about it.

No-Toil is the way to go- biodegradable and cleans out with a non-abrasive solvent in your kitchen sink- Honda's house brand filter oil is made by No-Toil (says so on the bottle).